How much power for a dedicated iTunes video server?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I see an AppleTV in my medium term future. My current setup is an iMac 24", a 14" iBook G4, an Airport Extreme running a dedicated n only network, and two airport expresses running a b/g network parallel to my n one (as described in this Macworld article). My iMac has all my music and podcasts on it, but I would like to avoid loading up the hard drive with all my converted DVDs. I would like to buy an old G4 dual proc powermac to use as a video server. I would use a remote desktop program. like Chicken of the VNC, to control the machine. On it, I would run iTunes and use it only to host all the converted DVD movies. It would interface with the network over ethernet cable to the Airport Extreme. In theory, I would think this setup would very nicely accept an AppleTV in a few months.

I've never thought of setting up any kind of home server before, and I have a couple of questions:

1. My DVD conversions will not be HD of course, but some of the video podcasts to which I suscribe are in HD. Would a Dual G4 450MHz be enough to serve this content?

2. My 802.11n network works splendidly for downloading from the web, but with only one n device on it, I have no idea if I am actually getting the high speed throughput. Given that I would be plugging the server directly into the Extreme, should I anticipate any problems being able to stream video to an AppleTV?

3. Am I overthinking this? As far as I know, there is no way to have two libraries open simultaneously on the same Mac... is there? If so, I would probably get an external firewire drive and put all the converted DVDs onto there and setup a second iTunes library just for videos.

Any answers would be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

I see an AppleTV in my medium term future. My current setup is an iMac 24", a 14" iBook G4, an Airport Extreme running a dedicated n only network, and two airport expresses running a b/g network parallel to my n one (as described in this Macworld article). My iMac has all my music and podcasts on it, but I would like to avoid loading up the hard drive with all my converted DVDs. I would like to buy an old G4 dual proc powermac to use as a video server. I would use a remote desktop program. like Chicken of the VNC, to control the machine. On it, I would run iTunes and use it only to host all the converted DVD movies. It would interface with the network over ethernet cable to the Airport Extreme. In theory, I would think this setup would very nicely accept an AppleTV in a few months.

I've never thought of setting up any kind of home server before, and I have a couple of questions:

1. My DVD conversions will not be HD of course, but some of the video podcasts to which I suscribe are in HD. Would a Dual G4 450MHz be enough to serve this content?

2. My 802.11n network works splendidly for downloading from the web, but with only one n device on it, I have no idea if I am actually getting the high speed throughput. Given that I would be plugging the server directly into the Extreme, should I anticipate any problems being able to stream video to an AppleTV?

3. Am I overthinking this? As far as I know, there is no way to have two libraries open simultaneously on the same Mac... is there? If so, I would probably get an external firewire drive and put all the converted DVDs onto there and setup a second iTunes library just for videos.

Any answers would be appreciated.

I'm not knowledgeable in this area but one question. Why not a MAc mini? Wouldn't it be powerful and cheap enough?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I'm not knowledgeable in this area but one question. Why not a MAc mini? Wouldn't it be powerful and cheap enough?

I am seeing the dual G4s for about $270, a new mac mini would go for at least $600. On ebay, even mac mini G4s are selling in the neighborhood of $450.

Secondly, is the issue of storage. The G4 powermacs have 2 or 3 internal bays for big hard drives. The $500 mini only comes with 60 gigs internal. External drives would, of course, add more cost.

Still, using a mini for this purpose, might be the better way to go in terms of reliability and a very compact form factor... I will have to ponder this. I guess the following question would arise:

1. If I use an external firewire 400 drive, would the overall throughput from external drive to Mini to Airport Extreme to Apple TV, be fast enough to stream DVD quality video? I truly have no idea.

2. Anyone selling a core solo mini?