ATT beefs up EDGE speeds, just in time?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
According to reports from AT&T EDGE users in metro areas, they've seen speeds go from around 40kbps to around 200kbps in the last several days.

From the Gizmodo article:

Quote:

It looks like Operation Fine EDGE might be paying some pretty fine dividends. AT&T customers at both Mac Rumors' forums and HowardForums are relaying that tonight they've been experiencing some fairly jazzed up EDGE action—speeds have been hitting around 200kbps, a far cry from the typical 40kbps that made Pogue-y a sad panda.

Someone's compiled a list of major cities with reported average speeds.

Can any EDGE users here confirm? How about the Bay Area?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I dunno, it sounds suspiciously like all the reports from the release of OS X in 2001 that they had finally removed the debug code and it was now twice as fast as the beta. I hope it's true, but I don't see how AT&T would have really increased speeds between the time that all the major reviewers said it was excruciatingly slow and today. I mean, why wouldn't they have done it long ago if all they had to do was flip a switch somewhere and make it snappy?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

According to reports from AT&T EDGE users in metro areas, they've seen speeds go from around 40kbps to around 200kbps in the last several days.

From the Gizmodo article:

Someone's compiled a list of major cities with reported average speeds.

Can any EDGE users here confirm? How about the Bay Area?

That's funny, because on my local news this morning, they said that Steve Jobs came out and said he was unhappy about at&t's network speed... maybe this helped?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

I dunno, it sounds suspiciously like all the reports from the release of OS X in 2001 that they had finally removed the debug code and it was now twice as fast as the beta. I hope it's true, but I don't see how AT&T would have really increased speeds between the time that all the major reviewers said it was excruciatingly slow and today. I mean, why wouldn't they have done it long ago if all they had to do was flip a switch somewhere and make it snappy?

Maybe for the delta between "excruciating" and "meh"?

This way, the new speeds will be hailed as a miracle, instead of "somewhat less horrible."

I mean, that whole "Fine EDGE" thing must have been for something.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Maybe for the delta between "excruciating" and "meh"?

This way, the new speeds will be hailed as a miracle, instead of "somewhat less horrible."

I mean, that whole "Fine EDGE" thing must have been for something.

I hope it's true, and there are apparently a lot of personal reports coming in that support it. It just made my spidey sense tingle - I don't have any other info as to whether it really is true.