Parallel/Serial Port Cards and Boot Camp

jbljbl
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

Has anyone tried using a Parallel and/or Serial port card in a Mac running XP under Boot Camp? Did it work? Any recommendations for a particular card to buy?

<off topic rant>I talked the people I work with into buying a Mac instead of a PC for the lab on the grounds that the Mac can do anything a PC can do plus you can use it as a Mac. I passed the specifications around; got everyone to sign off on it. Our new Mac Pro arrives and the first thing someone tries to do is connect an eye-tracker via the parallel port We aren't doing this on the machine we are replacing; why do we need to do it now? Why don't people look at the specs I give them?</off topic rant>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Oh I hate when people do this. It's the same with those stupid ps/2 devices. USB is there for a reason, why do PC users insist on using outdated equipment? Even floppy drives, people *still* use them.

I guess when it's a device like an eye-tracker, it's expensive though. There are some USB ones here:

http://www.cogain.org/eyetrackers
  • Reply 2 of 2
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Oh I hate when people do this. It's the same with those stupid ps/2 devices. USB is there for a reason, why do PC users insist on using outdated equipment? Even floppy drives, people *still* use them.

I guess when it's a device like an eye-tracker, it's expensive though. There are some USB ones here:

http://www.cogain.org/eyetrackers

Thanks. I agree with your feelings. However, we already own the eye-tracker, so there isn't much chance of us buying a USB based one. For the stuff we have been doing we don't really need to connect the eye-trackering computer to the display computer so I didn't think it was an issue. However, we will need to connect them in the future. I am not in charge of eye-tracking and somehow had the idea that communciation with the eye-tracking software was IP based. Oh, well.