Parallels questions (noobish)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I don't get it. I have to be doing something wrong or missing something obvious, Parallels cannot be this unintuitive.

I installed Parallels and XP to run two programs. And to run them in coherence mode. Well, I can't get coherence mode to do anything. I click on the button and nothing happens. It will go into full-screen mode if I click that, but coherence doesn't do anything. I tried sharing a folder on my mac using Parallels Tools and it says that it's shared, but I have no idea where to go to access the folder. The "Parallels Shared Folders" shortcut on my XP desktop gives me an error every time. I don't have administrative privileges to access it. All I want to do is install the two programs but I can't do it.

What am I missing? I have searched the user guide up and down trying to find a section on installing programs but I get nothing.

So far I am thoroughly disappointed in Parallels. I thought coherence mode was going to be a savior. I'm probably going to quickly go back to Crossover Mac. This is pointless.

edit: nevermind. i trashed it. i'm not sure what all these bloggers are doing that makes it run so well but it was slow, and small, and unintuitive for me. screw it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    teedoff087teedoff087 Posts: 348member
    Parallels 3.0 has been pretty buggy for me too. It seems everything got worse.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmber View Post

Well, I can't get coherence mode to do anything. I click on the button and nothing happens.

That happens with me too. I don't know if it's a graphics card issue or what. I was a bit disappointed with that.

Quote:

I tried sharing a folder on my mac using Parallels Tools and it says that it's shared, but I have no idea where to go to access the folder. The "Parallels Shared Folders" shortcut on my XP desktop gives me an error every time.

Is it setup though? You have to go into settings (edit menu I think) and then pick a Mac folder you want to share.

Quote:

So far I am thoroughly disappointed in Parallels. I thought coherence mode was going to be a savior. I'm probably going to quickly go back to Crossover Mac. This is pointless.

edit: nevermind. i trashed it. i'm not sure what all these bloggers are doing that makes it run so well but it was slow, and small, and unintuitive for me. screw it.

Parallels still has far greater compatibility than Crossover. Ideally, I'd like a combination of both i.e a version of Parallels that can work with a Mac folder instead of an image so no sharing is even necessary.