Vodaphone selected as the UK network for iphone (Oh and it will be 3G aswell :-) )

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
NewsWireless.net (via Gadgettastic) is reporting that Apple has partnered with Vodafone, T-Mobile of Germany and Carphone Warehouse and is expected to announce the UK iPhone on Monday.

The most unusual part of the rumor is the expectation that the European iPhone will take advantage of Vodaphone's 3G data networks.

Vodafone is currently in an ideal position to take on the iPhone, because its 3G network is hugely under-utilised. Pricing on mobile data is normally prohibitive, but Vodafone has recently revised its 3G data charges down, following "rip-off" complaints from users.

Steve Jobs was recently quoted explaining that the reason that the US iPhone didn't take advantage of 3G networks was due to size and battery considerations.

Hints of the European launch emerged yesterday when Bill Condie of the London Evening Standard tipped Vodafone to be the official carrier, which will be confirmed Monday. But Voda is just part of the picture, with Apple going for a three-pronged European strategy with carriers - again, responding to disappointment in America with the exclusive deal with AT&T/Cingular.

This news will certainly put a smile on European Apple fan's faces even as Americans are queuing in the rain for the now-inferior 2G version.

Shipment date is still unknown, but "on course" for the year-end date predicted last October by Apple CEO Steve Jobs. sourceocket-lint newswireless

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/06/29/...-uk-customers/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well thats it then. So aside from 3G I think they will also put in MMS and Video recording. It all makes sense now really Jobs had it spot on. Video recording isnt that big in the USA and neither is 3G or MMS but all 3 will be on the UK spec.

This may dampen the battery a little but overall I think it will have been worth the wait seeing as we will have a better version of it.

Now finally I can get excited about the youtube feature.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Dude, you are seriously torqued about video recording on the iPhone.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    I know but ive been told by someone who works at Apple that it will be in the UK version so its ok lol
  • Reply 3 of 5
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    videoing on phones is huge in the uk. i've just been browsing youtube and there are so many amateur clips from last weekend's glastonbury festival! great stuff!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    roffroff Posts: 58member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Shipment date is still unknown, but "on course" for the year-end date predicted last October by Apple CEO Steve Jobs. sourceocket-lint newswireless

October?? Steve Jobs made an October announcement about the iPhone?? I thought that the first announcement was made at MWSF in January.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I just copied that from the macrumors link dude. Must be a typo - should say Jan.

And yes for the previous poster Video qualiy is huge in the UK. I mean when you have phones like the N93i and N95 that shoot in such a high resolution its hard to think why jobs even left it out of the iphone.

Sorry but after reading all these experiences in the last few hours this doesnt seem such a smart phone to me.

Ah well at least the UK one will have 3G.

But you know what else I read, bluetooth is only for headset syncing not normal file transfer.

How ridiculous.