Themes, Stripes and Duality

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Okay, I can't STAND OSX's stripes any longer, and feel like doing something reckless, such as installing a simple theme that will remove them (and I am aware of the usual Brad warnings!)

But when I go to VersionTracker to check out the latest version of Duality, it seems <a href="http://www.conundrumsoft.com/"; target="_blank">Cunundrum</a>'s site is down, and has been for several days...

Anybody know why, and how I can get my hands on Duality?

[ 01-26-2003: Message edited by: Arbernaut ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    No clue. If you're insistent on installing a theme, make sure it's the right version for your current OS, and try Themechanger.

<a href="http://www.clichesw.com/themechanger/"; target="_blank">http://www.clichesw.com/themechanger/</a>;
  • Reply 2 of 18
    *looms ominously*

Â*

Â*

Â*

Â*

Â*

Â*

Â*

Â*

• Reply 3 of 18
    *steps backwards towards the door*
  • Reply 4 of 18
    evoevo Posts: 198member
    I've been using themes on this eMac since I first got it. The only theme I have used is <a href="http://homepage.mac.com/max_08/index_themes.htm"; target="_blank">SmoothStripes</a>, which is just Aqua without the pinstipes.

I use it with ThemeChanger, which sometimes halts after installing the theme, but a force quit solves that problem.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    What can a Theme mess up? Especially just Smoothstripes? I'm going to install Smoothstripes now, I'll report the results in a bit.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    noseynosey Posts: 307member
    It's not the visual part of the theme that messes things up. Its the fact that all the key components of those visual enhancements are buried inside some system specific files. You aren't just installing different files, you are 'editing' system files.

Changing the themes is like taking the bits off the engine of your classic car and replacing them with stuff people have cobbled together out of seaweed and snot. It may not hold up in the long run, especially if the component is replaced by Apple during another update.

Themes... simple eye cany they are not. Try to imagine crossing the streams in Ghostbusters. The final result is unknown and may be more than you bargained for.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Smoothstripes is the theme I want to install... it's just OSX's stripes I want to get rid of - nothing else - I'm happy with the rest!

I *wish* Appple would give us the opportunity to change this one feature... Graphite was a good start, because let's face it, that Aqua blue makes the OS look like a kid's toy. C'mon Apple, you can do it!

in the meantime...

Does anyone have the latest duality installer available for download, or know where I can get it in the absence of the Conundrum site?
  • Reply 8 of 18
    So installing themes are like writing random poke numbers on your VIC20 or C64? THAT was the most exciting thing I had ever done before I turned 13.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    noseynosey Posts: 307member
    &gt;So installing themes are like writing random poke numbers on your VIC20 or C64?

I had one on the C64 which would make the machine go three times as fast. There was another for ten times, but I always died in the games because they ran so fast.

(Think Blazemonger(tm) speeds for the Amiga)

Anyways, yes... the same way of playing russian roulette with your irreplacable data.

[ 01-27-2003: Message edited by: nosey ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 18
    I'm not convinced it's *that* bad... but I don't mind playing Russian Roulette with my computer - all my work is on a separate drive that gets backed up.

I used Duality on my machine at work (I thought I'd better test on a computer that wasn't mine ) and nothing untoward happened, so I'm happy to risk it... so all I need is a copy of Duality...
  • Reply 11 of 18
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    Use ThemeChanger if you're using 10.2.3. Duality has some...problems with 10.2.3. I learned that the hard way.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    [quote]Originally posted by nosey:

<strong>Changing the themes is like taking the bits off the engine of your classic car and replacing them with stuff people have cobbled together out of seaweed and snot.</strong><hr></blockquote>This is the best analogy I've read in a while because it is true. Unless you take some initiative to examine these theme files before you install them, you could render your computer completely unusable (short of reinstalling the OS).

[quote]Originally posted by Anders the White:

<strong>So installing themes are like writing random poke numbers on your VIC20 or C64? THAT was the most exciting thing I had ever done before I turned 13.</strong><hr></blockquote>Close enough. You are basically deleting (irrevocably, I should mention) key System files and replacing them with hacked-up copies. This is why themes are especially hazardous when updates come out from Apple: Apple changes something that a theme doesn't have and your System gets confused when it tries looking for Apple's updated files. Result? Who knows, but it usually isn't good.

Russian Roulette indeed.

If you dare to use themes, I must strongly advise you regularly back up your data and be prepared to reinstall the System if things fudge up.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Okay - warnings heeded and so on, but just a quick question (and forgive my ignorance if this question seems dumb)...

Presumably the stripes in OSX are controlled by a single stripey image, Could I just replace that single image with an image of the same name but without stripes, so that when Apple updates the system it finds what it's expecting to find...?

Puh-leeeze - I gotta find a way of getting rid of these stripes!!!
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Single file? Yes. Single image? No.

I'm afraid it is a LOT more complex than that.

The things that most of these themes change are texture resources (of which there are many hundreds) in an "rsrc" file of the HIToolbox framework. There is no single stripe resource. There are separate resources for the stripes in menu bars, window titles, modeless titles, various background fillers, and everywhere else. In fact, the stripes span different *types* of resources altogether as well; you would find them as both the PPAT and #pxm resource types.

I actually hunted them all down and made the first stripeless theme back in the Public Beta days for a handful of AI and MacNN members. Today, I'm sure you can find an updated version from someone else if you look around long enough.

[ 01-27-2003: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Godammit Apple, why'd ya make it so complicated???

*sigh*
  • Reply 16 of 18
    [quote]Originally posted by eVo:

<strong>I use it with ThemeChanger, which sometimes halts after installing the theme, but a force quit solves that problem.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's actually not frozen at all, I think it's just waiting for information from the Finder and Dock to make sure they're running again after it restarts them...

Just choose "About themechanger" from the app-menu to un-halt it.

Cheers!

[ 01-28-2003: Message edited by: Whyatt Thrash ]</p>
  • Reply 17 of 18
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Themes are cool. Why don't they change my Desktop background in themechange .5 though?

I really like Watercolor on ResExcellence. Also, Milk, Platinum Classic (I had no idea it would look so dated though!!!) and SmoothSripes.

Watercolor has really good potential. It just needs to be a little more rounded, subtle rounded corners like on an iBook, and more control over the interface, more things need to be blue. Speaking of this, can a Theme change the background color of Finder windows?
  • Reply 18 of 18
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    [quote]Originally posted by Aquatic:

<strong>Watercolor has really good potential. It just needs to be a little more rounded, subtle rounded corners like on an iBook, and more control over the interface, more things need to be blue. Speaking of this, can a Theme change the background color of Finder windows?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I just found this theme last week, and it rules. I agree about the corners rounded a bit, that would be a very nice touch.

You can change the background of a Finder window easily. Command+J, bottom set of options, select color, and then... the color. If you have the "all windows" thing checked above it should be fairly universal.