Ripped movies not playing on iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
None of the movies I ripped with Handbrake or MediaFork will play on my iPhone. All of the stuff purchased on the iTunes Store syncs and plays just fine but if I try and sync one that I ripped myself I get a message that says iTunes did not sync that file because it would not play on the iPhone. All of these movies were ripped for AppleTV. Does this mean I will have to go back and rerip them with iPod settings? Is anyone else having this problem. Excluding this small problem the iPhone is a real gem.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Handbrake settings for AppleTV are higher resolution than the iPhone can handle. It should be able to play anything that the iPod can, though.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Gotta rip them for iPod video....

AppleTV setting is ripping it for 'HDTV' resolutions... the iPhone might be great but it isn't HD Ready...

Dave
  • Reply 3 of 8
    cato988cato988 Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bspears View Post

None of the movies I ripped with Handbrake or MediaFork will play on my iPhone. All of the stuff purchased on the iTunes Store syncs and plays just fine but if I try and sync one that I ripped myself I get a message that says iTunes did not sync that file because it would not play on the iPhone. All of these movies were ripped for AppleTV. Does this mean I will have to go back and rerip them with iPod settings? Is anyone else having this problem. Excluding this small problem the iPhone is a real gem.

I rip my movies with handbrake using regular screen size and just make my target file size 700mb and they are great quality on my computer and also work on my ipod
  • Reply 4 of 8
    bspearsbspears Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cato988 View Post

I rip my movies with handbrake using regular screen size and just make my target file size 700mb and they are great quality on my computer and also work on my ipod

I use MediaFork with a 2500 kbps average rate. My file size is generally 1.5 GB. I guess these settings are just a little high for the iPhone.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    It definitely works.

Just ripped MI3 and it works perfectly...
  • Reply 6 of 8
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

I use MediaFork with a 2500 kbps average rate. My file size is generally 1.5 GB. I guess these settings are just a little high for the iPhone.

Thats just fine.... For my 42" Sharp Aquos!!

But yea its a tad over kill by a factor or more for the iPhone...

First you have to 'down sample' the movie to a resolution the iPhone can display... The easiest way to do it is to rip using the automated settings for 'Rip to iPod' **not** 'Rip to AppleTV'

Dave
  • Reply 7 of 8
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

It's not just the file size. Here's what I'd try: Select the iPod preset. That should work, but then, for the most efficient file size for the iPhone, go into picture settings and make sure the max. height is 320 and the max. width is 480.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

It's not just the file size. Here's what I'd try: Select the iPod preset. That should work, but then, for the most efficient file size for the iPhone, go into picture settings and make sure the max. height is 320 and the max. width is 480.

You can then save the above settings as an iPhone preset.