So you CAN type sideways...in safari

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I'm sitting here typing sideways in safari and its so much easier...why can't they add this function to all the apps? Especially notepad and texting...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psychobass213 View Post

I'm sitting here typing sideways in safari and its so much easier...why can't they add this function to all the apps? Especially notepad and texting...

I'm talking about on the iPhone btw, in case that wasn't clear
  • Reply 2 of 14
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Can you post a pic of that? I'd like to see that... do the keys become larger to fill the additional space?
  • Reply 3 of 14
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Can you post a pic of that? I'd like to see that... do the keys become larger to fill the additional space?

Yes, keys are larger and a bit more spread out. I'd post a picture, but don't have a camera where I am right now. Basically it takes up most of the screen for the keyboard (i'd say, 70%...maybe?), but it makes typing a lot easier. But, I'm slowly getting used to "trusting" the keyboard in sms/email mode. You just type like you would, and let the iPhone make the corrections on the fly. i'm getting pretty good, with only the occasional mangled word, which is easy enough to go back and fix.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    auslanderauslander Posts: 183member
    I was hoping that would be possible. Makes a lot of sense.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Yeah, why wouldn't Apple enable landscape keyboard for messaging and mail? Makes no sense to me at all.

Oh well, everybody scream bloody murder and they can issues a software update.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Sounds great...
  • Reply 7 of 14
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    How much space is left over for the web page content? A few lines, a third, or half of the screen?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    This picture was in Pogue's review a few days ago:

• Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

This picture was in Pogue's review a few days ago:

That's pretty nice.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I think you can see the problem, though: It takes up over half the height of the screen. I'm sure they considered it and just felt they couldn't fit everything else they needed in email/texting in that little space above the keyboard. I think they need to try a little harder though, I bet it would be an improvement for big-thumbed texters. Even if you could only see one line of what you're typing.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

I think you can see the problem, though: It takes up over half the height of the screen. I'm sure they considered it and just felt they couldn't fit everything else they needed in email/texting in that little space above the keyboard. I think they need to try a little harder though, I bet it would be an improvement for big-thumbed texters. Even if you could only see one line of what you're typing.

Yeah but they could make the keyboard come up only when you need it like in other apps, I dont see why that would be a problem. I'm sure they'll add this in the future. God, I am so in love with this thing...
  • Reply 12 of 14
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    So who's going to be the first to post from their iPhone then?

I was expecting several "I'm posting in AI from my iPhone" threads by now.

• Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

So who's going to be the first to post from their iPhone then?

I was expecting several "I'm posting in AI from my iPhone" threads by now.

lol all my posts in this thread have been from my iphone. I'm surprised that the internet (even over edge) is as useable as it is. I've just been sitting around outside all day watching youtube videos taking pictures and browsing the internet...so sweet...
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psychobass213 View Post

lol all my posts in this thread have been from my iphone. I'm surprised that the internet (even over edge) is as useable as it is. I've just been sitting around outside all day watching youtube videos taking pictures and browsing the internet...so sweet...

Psychobass is obviously WAY beyond the novelty of writing meaningless "I'm posting from my iPhone" messages. He's onto solving the world's problems on-the-go (while we're all solving them locked in our little computer chairs).

Those iPhone people are going to become a subculture all their own. It's only a matter of time before they secede from AppleInsider altogether, leaving us here all by ourselves.