iMacs: Limited availability?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Went out looking for a 24" iMac today and none of the major retailers had any stock of them, anywhere in the UK.

Does somebody else want to check availability of the 20" and 24" iMacs? The retailers claimed that the 24"er wasn't EOL ? however, all the branches had sold their display units (which they are usually loathe to do mid-cycle).

Also, and I don't know how accurate this is, but there was mention of a new 27"er...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Went out looking for a 24" iMac today and none of the major retailers had any stock of them, anywhere in the UK.

Did you check Wiggen?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    houseleyhouseley Posts: 147member
    John Lewis online has the 17 and 20 inch available but the 24 out of stock.

Micro Anvika online has the 17 and 24 inch in stock, 20 inch on pre-order.

That's just two but it seems to be a mixed bag if the online stores inventories are as they say they are.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    mac warehouse out of stock on 20 and 24 inch

comet also out of stock

amazon running quite low on stock

but still ready to ship in 24 hours on apple store apart from when u select 750gb hard disk drive, when it goes to 2-3 weeks.

were the MBP's still ready to ship in 24 hrs on june 4th, 24 hours before the new ones came out?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Vapour View Post

Did you check Wiggen?

What's "Wiggen"?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:

What's "Wiggen"?

It's a place.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Also, and I don't know how accurate this is, but there was mention of a new 27"er...

Accurate or not, it is the next logical step. If Apple was to bump the screen sizes, it would not go directly to 30" as most people seem to think but to something like 26-27". If this will happen or not in the next refresh (or overhaul ?) of the line, it depends on display prices alone I think.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

It's a place.

Naw. That's "Wigan", isn't it?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    22"/27"/30" will be sweet.

more space and extra room to put desktop cpu.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    bostonmhbostonmh Posts: 97member
    I would bet the new iMac will come out some where between July 17th to the 31st. I bet Steve wants a week or two of more iPhone reviews and news reports, then Apple comes out with the new iMac and Apple get more news reports about Apple products.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BostonMH View Post

I would bet the new iMac will come out some where between July 17th to the 31st. I bet Steve wants a week or two of more iPhone reviews and news reports, then Apple comes out with the new iMac and Apple get more news reports about Apple products.

They are the masters of strategic releases (both hardware and press), aren't they?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    argh! i'm going into buying dilemmas now! was considering selling my powerbook on ebay and getting a macbook, expecting imacs were still going to be a while, but this news really suggests they're coming sooner... i guess i should wait? this lack of stock seriously suggests an impending update but wouldn't they want to do a special event if something significant was coming?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    just checked one of the major japanese electronics chains, and my translation is:

17" 1.83ghz - 1/2 days dispatch w/ limited stock warning

17" 2.0ghz - 24hr normal dispatch

20" 2.16ghz - 1/2 days dispatch

24" - 1/2 days dispatch w/ EOL warning (i think!)

decided to check another major outlet, and:

17" 1.83ghz - limited stock warning

17" 2.0ghz - normal dispatch

20" 2.16ghz - normal dispatch

24" - limited stock warning

this seems like strong evidence that updates are impending within the next few weeks??!

edit: dixons uk are reporting ALL imacs sold out on their website! (http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/stor...seBVCookie=Yes)

edit again! pc world uk has all the imacs (and minis!) as collect @ store items, suggesting limited availability (http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...&show_all=true)