Wireless Mouse

ssssss
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Just wondering, does the wireless mouse have a wee bluetooth dongle thing you need to plug into a macbook USB slot? Or is the bluetooth built into it? Don't want a USB stick sticking out of my mac all the time!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    jrollerjroller Posts: 80member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSS View Post

Just wondering, does the wireless mouse have a wee bluetooth dongle thing you need to plug into a macbook USB slot? Or is the bluetooth built into it? Don't want a USB stick sticking out of my mac all the time!!

Bluetooth is built in. No worries...
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSS View Post

Yeah, the USB thing is only for computers that don't already have bluetooth in them. Your macbook should be fine and you *should* be able to just chuck the thing that comes with it or just throw it into a closet/drawer because you won't need it. Some mice (Mighty Mouse, Logitech V270 are two) don't even include the "dongle". BUT, make sure about the mouse you are getting because a lot of mice are wireless and have a dongle but use infrared transmission and not bluetooth. Hope this helps.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If you use Apple mice you wont need a dongle, but for the Logitech MX Revolution (which is a way better mouse), you must use the dongle that comes with it, thus using up one of the crucial USB ports.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

If you use Apple mice you wont need a dongle, but for the Logitech MX Revolution (which is a way better mouse), you must use the dongle that comes with it, thus using up one of the crucial USB ports.

But that is not bluetooth like he is asking (I think). The only current logitech with bluetooth on their website is the v270, which is a lesser design because of its ambidexterity (is that a word?). I know the MX900 uses bluetooth, but It is not on their site, and is very expensive at other locations (Amazon).

On the other hand, since Logitech is known for making superior mice, the V270 is still a good option (I ordered one on Friday) if you do not want the dongle. But If you get it, don't get it off their site because it is $15 USD cheaper on Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826104205

But, if you would accept the infrared transmittance instead of bluetooth, which will require the dongle, you can get a much better mouse for your money.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    The Logitech MX Rev. is a bluetooth, laser mouse.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The Logitech MX Rev. is a bluetooth, laser mouse.

I don't think so. Prove it. That would be really cool, because I didn't get one because I didn't think it was bluetooth since logitech.com didn't say so.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Revol.../dp/B000HCT12O

Logitech MX Revolution Cordless Laser Mouse

Other products by Logitech

\t\t

Price: \t$67.24 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

Pros

* Great ergonomics

* MicroGear scroll wheel and fast application switching

* Nifty charging stand

Cons

* Mac support not on par with Windows

* Poor battery life

* Don't bother if you're a lefty

System Requirements: Mac OS 8.6 or later, available USB port
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Revol.../dp/B000HCT12O

Logitech MX Revolution Cordless Laser Mouse

Other products by Logitech

\t\t

Price: \t$67.24 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

Pros

* Great ergonomics

* MicroGear scroll wheel and fast application switching

* Nifty charging stand

Cons

* Mac support not on par with Windows

* Poor battery life

* Don't bother if you're a lefty

System Requirements: Mac OS 8.6 or later, available USB port

Yes, also:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...x%2brevolution

WIRELESS TYPE: RF WIRELESS

notice how RF wireless≠bluetooth
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

Yes, also:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...x%2brevolution

WIRELESS TYPE: RF WIRELESS

notice how RF wireless≠bluetooth

I think that the RF Wireless is between the mouse and the docking cradle. This is from the site you quoted and it indicates that the interface is USB.

Quick Specs

Model\t931689-0403

Wireless Type\tRF Wireless

Interface USB\t

Tracking Method\tLaser

Buttons\t7
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

I think that the RF Wireless is between the mouse and the docking cradle. This is from the site you quoted and it indicates that the interface is USB.

Quick Specs

Model\t931689-0403

Wireless Type\tRF Wireless

Interface USB\t

Tracking Method\tLaser

Buttons\t7

yeah... but my whole point was that its not bluetooth as previously mentioned.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

yeah... but my whole point was that its not bluetooth as previously mentioned.

My apologies. I missed the crossbar on the equal sign. BTW, how do you make that "not equal" sign?
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

My apologies. I missed the crossbar on the equal sign. BTW, how do you make that "not equal" sign?

option = on a mac... on windows you have to find it somewhere and copy paste it. My personal favorite symbol though is . which is shift option k.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

option = on a mac... on windows you have to find it somewhere and copy paste it. My personal favorite symbol though is . which is shift option k.

Thanks. I am becoming very addicted to AI. I learn so much from this forum that I can't stay away from it. I find myself scanning AI instead of doing my work. Or, as in this case, getting much needed sleep.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    OK, so maybe it's not bluetooth, you still should untangle those knickers though.