ask about new MBP battery

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hi, i just bought new MBP 2.4 Ghz, i want ask using battery here

when the battery is fully charged, is it allowed to use computer as long the power adapter is plugged in?

( MagSafe light is in green state )

i already read finder -> help -> Machelp -> Calibrate the Battery MacBook and MacBookPro

but, i'm not pretty sure, because my friend has Acer laptop, which always remove the battery when fully charge

is it OK? thx for the help

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wawax View Post

hi, i just bought new MBP 2.4 Ghz, i want ask using battery here

when the battery is fully charged, is it allowed to use computer as long the power adapter is plugged in?

( MagSafe light is in green state )

i already read finder -> help -> Machelp -> Calibrate the Battery MacBook and MacBookPro

but, i'm not pretty sure, because my friend has Acer laptop, which always remove the battery when fully charge

is it OK? thx for the help

From what I pieced together from your English, you asked if you could run your MBP just off wired power and not off the battery? If so, the answer is yes, as I am doing it right now. I would suggest turning it off first, removing the battery, and then turning it on (that's what I did to test this) because there might be an issue about switching power sources in the middle of a use session which could possibly damage the hardware (like when switching from a wired to wireless internet source, my new 2.2 Ghz MBP temporarily loses a connection). Hopefully that answers the question you asked.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    You CAN remove the battery when it is fully charged, BUT I would strongly advise against it. Apple's battery chargers are much more "intelligent" than probably Acer's chargers (or my Toshiba one, by the way). Those always charge the battery up to 100% whenever the power cord was removed and plugged back in. This ruins the battery in about two years because of all the unneccessary charging cycles.

Apple's chargers only charge the battery when it is needed and NOT whenever there is power available. Also the battery is ONLY charged back up to 100% when the battery level falls BELOW 95% - this prevents ruining the battery.

Leaving in the battery in a MacBook Pro is perfectly normal, everybody does it, and it does NOT harm the machine (or the battery) in any way. AND it prevents your computer from crashing in case the power should go off for whatever reason - you have a battery as a "power backup system"!

(I have owned 6 notebooks so far over the years, starting in 1996 until today, and none of them had a single problem concerning the battery and leaving the power plugged in. Of course, their capacity goes down over the years, but if maintained correctly (read: calibration every month or so if the machine is frequently used on battery), they should work for more than three years.)