Will iweb '07 have flash capability?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
For a while Apple was highlighting professionals who use macs. I am wondering if the next version of iweb will allow professionals to be more professional. I find quicktime movies too slow to load up with the quality I need. I took mine down from my iweb. I would also like to add some html (more easily than the text edit method). I would also like to sell some of my prints on my iweb site. Ecommerce capabilities would be nice. I know I can add the html that pay pal provides through text edit, but that defeats the purpose of getting iweb. Here is my site for reference. I'd love to have little flash movies in each of the picture squares you see on my home page. The QT movies were slow to load as I mentioned earlier. I think I would need to get a server to have them load with professional quality.

Anyway. These three things would be nice in the next version: flash, html and ecommerce. Otherwise I love the program.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    dutch peardutch pear Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel Schallau View Post

For a while Apple was highlighting professionals who use macs. I am wondering if the next version of iweb will allow professionals to be more professional. I find quicktime movies too slow to load up with the quality I need. I took mine down from my iweb. I would also like to add some html (more easily than the text edit method). I would also like to sell some of my prints on my iweb site. Ecommerce capabilities would be nice. I know I can add the html that pay pal provides through text edit, but that defeats the purpose of getting iweb. Here is my site for reference. I'd love to have little flash movies in each of the picture squares you see on my home page. The QT movies were slow to load as I mentioned earlier. I think I would need to get a server to have them load with professional quality.

Anyway. These three things would be nice in the next version: flash, html and ecommerce. Otherwise I love the program.

I hate websites with flash-movies
  • Reply 2 of 9
    david_ocdavid_oc Posts: 90member
    I'd say it's very unlikely considering the iPhone doesn't support Flash
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dutch pear View Post

I hate websites with flash-movies

I wasn't talking about wanting one of those annoying intro flash movies everyone skips. I hate those too. I'd like to have a more interactive site. Roll overs and such. Flash is great for those. Users could zoom into my drawings after being able to pan over my drawings. All with the same file. Flash is awesome for that and most users wouldn't even know they were in flash.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Flash is excellent when used in the right hands. It's interactive, intuitive and can even access your iSight and mic etc. Flash is also very handy for the main Mac professional userbase: Music and video. I don't doubt that the iPhone will support Flash in the not too distant future. As for whether iLife will support Flash development, then no I doubt it. Why when you can buy Flash? Or one of the several Adobe CS3 packages that include it.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    jrollerjroller Posts: 80member
    Quote:

I don't know, but I have great expectations/hopes for the coming version.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

Flash is excellent when used in the right hands. It's interactive, intuitive and can even access your iSight and mic etc. Flash is also very handy for the main Mac professional userbase: Music and video. I don't doubt that the iPhone will support Flash in the not too distant future. As for whether iLife will support Flash development, then no I doubt it. Why when you can buy Flash? Or one of the several Adobe CS3 packages that include it.

Flash is not a website making tool. It is for making Flash stuff. You still need a place to put the movies, like iweb. I am just hoping Apple will see the light. I like quicktime, but most people can view flash movies with no problem.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    shyfshyf Posts: 1member
    I am wondering if you are bothered by the slow load time of your site, as seems to be a result of building Web sites with iWeb.

I think it is very annoying, and wondered what others thought.

You can take a look at my site and see how it compares.

www.mayflydesign.net

ryan
  • Reply 8 of 9
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:

Flash is not a website making tool. It is for making Flash stuff.

Hahaha that is so funny I actually laughed out loud!

Quote:

You still need a place to put the movies, like iweb. I am just hoping Apple will see the light. I like quicktime, but most people can view flash movies with no problem.

Flash was developed for the production of interactive vector based web content that can be controlled by multiple time lines.

You can deploy a 100% flash website if you like. You don't need anything like iWeb to deploy it.

Most websites are not pure Flash, but contain multiple Flash components embedded within a HTML page. This is usually done so that server regular side scripting components can be integrated with the Flash movies and to allow for better search engine optimisation etc.

A web server can serve SWF files directly to your browser without the need for any HTML.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    Quote:

I think that you are mistaken on multiple levels.
    1. Flash isn't any more "professional" than QuickTime or HTML.

2. Flash movies are actually pretty terrible quality. Do you think most YouTube videos are high quality.

3. You pay a price for high quality: longer download times.

4. e-commerce is unlikely unless they have a contract with a third party shopping-cart-type web service.

It seems much more likely that iWeb 2.0 will support AJAX so that it will work on the iPhone. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Apple came out with a pro version of iWeb that supported a lot of AJAX-type stuff for making highly dynamic sites with just HTML, JavaScript, and XML.

No Flash needed. Sorry.