New OS X Speech Recognition Software?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
How likely is it that a really good speech recognition app will come to OS X? Will it be a secret feature of Leopard not yet revealed?

Something like "MacDicta"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meh 2 View Post

How likely is it that a really good speech recognition app will come to OS X? Will it be a secret feature of Leopard not yet revealed?

IMnasHO (In my not always so humble opinion)

I wouldn't even consider being surprised by it showing up... Apple seems to have all but forgotten about speech recognition...

I just read this from some random poster so take it for what its worth... LESS THAN NOTHING..... Some people (one person as far as I know) have said that as part of the deal Apple made with Microsoft way back when Steve first came back to Apple... it was RUMORED that as part of the deal with MS... Apple wouldn't do any continued work on speech recognition... The actual details of the 'deal' were never totally revealed but it did have Apple getting 350 M in cash, MS continuing development of Office for the Mac, Apple dropping a lawsuit it was still fighting with Microsoft and I'm sure a few other things...

Was Apple being asked to stop further development of speech recognition part of the deal?!?! I doesn't SOUND to me like it would be.... but who knows... Either way... Apple has BASICALLY done just that either way.

Dave
  • Reply 2 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I envision Speech Recognition becoming part of a unified Universal Access API in 10.6.

Take the accessiblity stuff, Inkwell, speakable items and add SR. Apple needs to make sure that they make every function of the OS and application keyboard controllable. Put hooks into Applscript so that any scriptable application can be accessed via hte UA API.

Apple need only work on the core of SR. 3rd party developers would simply tap into the core and provide the UI and specific language models/dictionary. Thus Apple isn't killing iListen and other applications but rather giving them low level access to the AU frameworks for building robust Assistive Technology applications and mobile applications.

Sadly I don't see any hint that this is coming in Leopard. While virtual keyboards are nice for the iPhone in a few years the typical smartphone will be powerful enough to accept dictation with a %90 or better accuracy. It's going to take more local storage, faster processors and a good microphone so I don't blame Apple for not moving in this direction earlier.

Microsoft is well ahead in their SR technology in Vista which certainly isn't Dragon but it's a decent core to build off of.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Didn't Jobs demo an updated version of Bruce at some keynote?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Didn't Jobs demo an updated version of Bruce at some keynote?

Yea (it was still pretty lacking and one of my pet peeves about OS X - crappy voices) but now your talking about text to speech... Not speech recognition...

Dave
  • Reply 5 of 5
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.