Don't Trust the Green Dot!!!

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
If you're still trying to get an iPhone, I'd advise you not to trust the green dot/red dot system at Apple.com to determine availability.

I checked the site last night after 9pm and it showed iPhones available for today at one of the three metro Atlanta stores. I got up this morning at 4:30, checked the site again on my way out the door at 5:00 - yep, still green - and drove an hour and a half to the store. Arrived at 6:30 to find a sign inside the front door: "Sorry, we have no iPhones today." What the hell?!? Should I wait, should I go, is the sign wrong, is the web site wrong? At 7:00, a team of two Apple employees, including the store manager, show up and ignore me as they unlock the store. I say, "Excuse me, is that sign correct?" They say it is - no iPhones. I tell them that the web site said that they have some, could they check? "No, we're sure we don't have any." I tell them I drove 75 miles to get there based on bad info on the Apple site, could they at least take my name and call me when more units do come in so that I don't have to go through all this again? The manager says, "Absolutely not. We can't hold iPhones for anyone."

So I'm out $20 worth of gas, 4 hours of my time, I'm still iPhone-less, and all because of that stupid green dot, which is still there, by the way, as I type this at 9:00 a.m.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    You could have ordered on on the interweb or gone to an AT&T store.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Terrific suggestions, mydo, except all of the AT&T stores are sold out and ordering online takes 2-4 weeks.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    The Apple store indicator is worthless. It's a shame you found out the hard way. I'm gonna get an iPhone as well but I'm waiting for the initial madness to settle down. It might not be a bad idea for you as well. Otherwise your best bet is to order online and wait the 2-4 weeks.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

The Apple store indicator is worthless. It's a shame you found out the hard way. I'm gonna get an iPhone as well but I'm waiting for the initial madness to settle down. It might not be a bad idea for you as well. Otherwise your best bet is to order online and wait the 2-4 weeks.

I posted this problem here or on Apple Disscussions. The green and red dot system does NOT work. Sorry you got screwed. We are about 25 miles away and I thought that was bad!