macbook: removing the battery to prolong life?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
hi all,

just got my new macbook () and very nice it is too... i was just wondering, is it really a good policy to remove the notebook battery when using the macbook on mains supply? i've got into the habit of doing this but i'm not actually sure if it's of any benefit with modern batteries and might just be a throwback from using older technology.

can someone set me straight on this small point, please?

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    gwoodpeckergwoodpecker Posts: 367member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post

hi all,

just got my new macbook () and very nice it is too... i was just wondering, is it really a good policy to remove the notebook battery when using the macbook on mains supply? i've got into the habit of doing this but i'm not actually sure if it's of any benefit with modern batteries and might just be a throwback from using older technology.

can someone set me straight on this small point, please?

thanks

I second slewis, don't do this. It wears out the battery connectors inside the notebook and on the battery itself, a lot of dust goes into the notebook and lastly, the battery is like an insurance in case of a power failure.

Also the battery will always lose some of the capacity, no matter whether it's connected to the MacBook or not. Plus the battery will be recharged every time you reinsert it into the computer. This is unneccessary.

Just be sure to follow Apple's guidelines on battery calibration (see the little manual that came with your notebook). Then the battery will last a very long time!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Yeah, don't take out the battery unless it is necessary. It gets dirty VERY easily, I thought I had clean hands until my fingerprints showed up all oily on it. I believe the battery will not charge if it is above 95% when plugged in as to not overcharge the battery. I also second Sebastian on the unplugging possibilities because no one likes to see a computer die because it has no power source.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    i might say you could give it a try with a pre-intel 'book because it was hard to accidentally remove the power supply but the magsafe makes it way too easy. not worth the risk