O2 'to get iPhone contract in UK'

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
No news on pricing etc but one interesting point is:

"The agreement with O2 is reported to include Apple receiving a continuing share of the revenue generated for the network operator."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6272226.stm

j.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    I hope this is true - I'm looking for a good excuse to dump Orange, and Vodaphone has allways had a reputation as being pretty mediocre.

O2 has been doing a lot of nifty, innovative things recently, and the general 'buzz' about them is positive these days. Have a look at the stuff they're doing with the former Millennium Dome, like using your mobile as a virtual ticket, getting photos printed on site, etc.

They really have been getting better since they were first started as a BT Mobile re-branding excersise.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yama View Post

Correct. I think just about all of the major UK operators have 3G networks now.

macrumors is saying no 3G though.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Bugger.. time to move to France then it they are getting the iPhone on Orange.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    dotcomctodotcomcto Posts: 130member
    O2 is a 3G network, isn't it?

--DotComCTO
  • Reply 5 of 6
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DotComCTO View Post

O2 is a 3G network, isn't it?

Correct. I think just about all of the major UK operators have 3G networks now.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    mikeluffmikeluff Posts: 1member
    Despite some of the good things that people have been saying about o2 i have to say that out of all the networks in the UK - they are my least favorite.

In my experience they are one of the least reliable networks (where i live i used to get hardly any signal at all - and no 3g coverage either - and i live just north of london) Their customer service lines are extremely bad, with badly trained staff and their website is an absolute nightmare. Its extremely slow (although that could be to do with the current interest in the iphone) for some reason it takes me directly to the small business shop pages and the rest of the time it seems to be 'down for maintenance'

they just suck!! - rant over

I know the EU isnt particularly fond of operators locking their phones though - and with apple only selling their phone on one network per country - it will be interesting to see if issues of fairness and competition law are brought up after the phones release in Europe.