International iPhone rumors: Germany, France and the UK

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Over the last 48 hours, several overseas publications have weighed in with claims regarding when and with which carrier Apple Inc. plans to launch its well-received iPhone device in European markets.



iPhone in Germany



The rumors began with a report in the Rheinische Post, which stated that Deutsche Telekom's mobile phone unit T-Mobile had clinched a deal to bring the Apple handset to Germany.



Without citing sources, the German daily said in a preview of a story to be published on Wednesday that T-Mobile is expected to sell the iPhone exclusively with a T-Mobile contract for around 450 euros ($612) starting Nov 1.



iPhone in the UK



Hours later, UK-based Times Online ran a story regarding its own region, in which it said O2 has beaten out rivals to win the exclusive UK rights to offer iPhone.



"The tie-up, the mobile phone industry?s most sought-after deal in years, marks a major coup for the 18 million-customer group," the paper said. "The final contract is expected to be signed imminently."



The UK's version of iPhone will reportedly arrive by Christmas, and is expected to prove a key weapon in enabling O2 to win and retain customers in one of Europe?s fiercest mobile markets.



The deal with O2, however, is said to come as a bitter disappointment to Vodafone, which had been tipped as the front-runner for the deal.



"Arun Sarin, Vodafone?s chief executive, had been pushing hard to secure a deal for the iPhone, which has been at the centre of one of the most fiercely contested mobile battles since the £22.5 billion auction of 3G rights," the Times said. "However, as negotiations reached a climax, he is thought to have decided that the commercial terms on offer were not viable."



iPhone in France



A third and final report published by Financial Times Deutschland appears to corroborate reports of a fall iPhone launch in Germany and the UK, adding that the device will also launch in France around the same time.



However, iPhone's European availability will be limited to just these three continues in 2007 and will not include a 3G version, the report adds.
«134

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 64
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    However, iPhone's European availability will be limited to just these three continues in 2007 and will not include a 3G version, the report adds.



    After reading Steve Jobs interviews on the eve of iPhone day in the us.. He cited 3 major reasons that iPhone does not have 3G.



    1. Sporadic coverage outside of major metropolitan areas.

    2. Current gen 3G chips are too large for iPhones current form factor.

    3. Current gen 3G chips are a major battery drain..



    It was almost as if he was hinting that iPhone would not have 3G for a while yet.. If what he says are actually the "real reasons," I don't see how European iPhones could have 3G unless it was designed in a larger form factor, which I doubt will happen...
  • Reply 2 of 64
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Balls! I was still gunning for Orange in the UK. Vodafone would have been ok, they have the best network in the UK. But O2? They suck! They must have sold their souls to get that deal.

  • Reply 3 of 64
    gigigigi Posts: 65member
    What about CANADA!!!!! CANADA!!!! CANADA!!!!
  • Reply 4 of 64
    moukkismoukkis Posts: 17member
    Yeah,



    well, O2, at any rate better than Three.

    Vodafone would have been the best, but this just means that maybe the iPhone will come at a more favourable rate. And it also means you will see Arsene Wenger speaking to an iPhone from the pitch-sides... :P
  • Reply 5 of 64
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gigi View Post


    What about CANADA!!!!! CANADA!!!! CANADA!!!!



    I am amazed Canada wasn't 2nd in line for iPhones.
  • Reply 6 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    If the reports about iPhone sales are even remotely true then all these European carriers that have been sitting on the fence to see how well it sells in the US have just lost a good deal of their bargaining power.
  • Reply 7 of 64
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post


    After reading Steve Jobs interviews on the eve of iPhone day in the us.. He cited 3 major reasons that iPhone does not have 3G.



    1. Sporadic coverage outside of major metropolitan areas.

    2. Current gen 3G chips are too large for iPhones current form factor.

    3. Current gen 3G chips are a major battery drain..



    It was almost as if he was hinting that iPhone would not have 3G for a while yet..



    But in a live interview with Goatberg - Jobs also said...



    Jobs: ...The second reason is more profound: they have spent and are spending a fortune to build these 3G networks, and so far there ain't a lot to do with them. People haven't voted with their pocketbooks to sign up for video on their phones. These phones aren't capable of taking advantage of it. Youv'e used the internet on your phone, it's terrible! You get the baby internet, or the mobile internet -- people want the REAL internet on their phone. We are going to deliver that. We're going to take advantage of some of these investments in bandwidth.



    I don't think you can read that without concluding that the iPhone was designed to deliver on the promise of 3G.
  • Reply 8 of 64
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    If the reports about iPhone sales are even remotely true then all these European carriers that have been sitting on the fence to see how well it sells in the US have just lost a good deal of their bargaining power.



    yeah, now that they are sold out everywhere, they may have hit the one million sales mark in less than a week..
  • Reply 9 of 64
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post


    But in a live interview with Goatberg - Jobs also said...



    Jobs: ...The second reason is more profound: they have spent and are spending a fortune to build these 3G networks, and so far there ain't a lot to do with them. People haven't voted with their pocketbooks to sign up for video on their phones. These phones aren't capable of taking advantage of it. Youv'e used the internet on your phone, it's terrible! You get the baby internet, or the mobile internet -- people want the REAL internet on their phone. We are going to deliver that. We're going to take advantage of some of these investments in bandwidth.



    I don't think you can read that without concluding that the iPhone was designed to deliver on the promise of 3G.





    Oh I have no doubt that a 3G iPhone is in the works... I just don't think it will be in the first generation version for any country..
  • Reply 10 of 64
    How does apple get pass EU laws that say phones MUST BE UNLOCKED?
  • Reply 11 of 64
    gigigigi Posts: 65member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    I am amazed Canada wasn't 2nd in line for iPhones.



    I'm amazed that they never talk about Canada. In January Jobs talk about Europe and China for end 2007 or 2008 but never say a small word about Canada
  • Reply 12 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gigi View Post


    I'm amazed that they never talk about Canada. In January Jobs talk about Europe and China for end 2007 or 2008 but never say a small word about Canada



    The touch screen requires un-gloved hands. That leaves out 90% of the Canadian popular for 10 months out of the year.
  • Reply 13 of 64
    abrooksabrooks Posts: 66member
    O2 are back tracking on this rumour.



    http://news.worldofapple.com/archive...with-apple-uk/
  • Reply 14 of 64
    abrooksabrooks Posts: 66member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post


    How does apple get pass EU laws that say phones MUST BE UNLOCKED?



    Find me proof of that, I came across a friends phone that was on Three that was locked.
  • Reply 15 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post


    How does apple get pass EU laws that say phones MUST BE UNLOCKED?



    My first guess is that they only sell the iPhone in the countries that don't have the law.
  • Reply 16 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    I am amazed Canada wasn't 2nd in line for iPhones.



    It's sad to say [I'm a Canadian] but Apple simply doesn't care about Canada right now. We're an after thought, an extremely after, after thought. With a population of 33 million, slightly less than half of which even own a cell phone, we're viewed as a market that's too small.
  • Reply 17 of 64
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Someone needs to tell Kasper that there's a separate iPhone forum now.
  • Reply 18 of 64
    wessanwessan Posts: 37member
    I would prefer WiMAX instead of 3G. But that is absolutely out of charts. Close cooperation between Apple and Intel could lead to WiMAX, however the power consumtion is probably even higher than consumtion of 3G modules and coverage is almost 0. But building long range WiMAX network is probably much cheaper than building 3G, so it could be a way for many operators to go.
  • Reply 19 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post


    Someone needs to tell Kasper that there's a separate iPhone forum now.



    Heh. Erm ... I should do that.
  • Reply 20 of 64
    mayosolomayosolo Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    However, iPhone's European availability will be limited to just these three continues in 2007 and will not include a 3G version, the report adds.



    Three continues? Has iPhone been playing too many video games?
Sign In or Register to comment.