Who benefits from the launch of the iPhone?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The launch of the iPhone has redefined several markets as well as revitalised the Apple brand itself. It shows a continuous soar in technologies advancements and I have no doubt Apple's iPhone margins estimated in excess of 50 percent. However, I don?t think Apple is the biggest winner if we see it from a marketing perspective. For instance, iPhone business certainly builds up AT& T Wireless?s customer retention. The partnership between Apple and AT&T has given mutual benefits to both sides. Though, Network limitations and high prices may limit the potential of Apple?s iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Apple is a huge winner, as are the customers because of the fact that someone stood up to a mobile operator. AT&T is the big loser, imo, because they gained a lot of short term subscribers but long term sentiment.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    thttht Posts: 5,599member
    I bet you Samsung made more money off the iPhone in the last 8 days than they did with Samsung Blackjacks during the last 3 months.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

I bet you Samsung made more money off the iPhone in the last 8 days than they did with Samsung Blackjacks during the last 3 months.

How is that now?
  • Reply 5 of 20
    thttht Posts: 5,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

How is that now?

Samsung makes the flash chips and ARM processor that is inside the iPhone. They probably get the most money out of the parts vendors, maybe a 80-100 USD.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

let's face it, nothing will fix a total brain drain than someone coming along to kick your ass.

Sebastian

Bingo. If nothing else, the iPhone is going to scare the industry into showing a little more imagination.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

Bingo. If nothing else, the iPhone is going to scare the industry into showing a little more imagination.

These competitors are not run by dictatorial perfectionists like Apple is, so they cannot "generate" imagination like it's another widget. They will continue to brazenly copy Apple and each other.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Potato View Post

The launch of the iPhone has redefined several markets as well as revitalised the Apple brand itself. It shows a continuous soar in technologies advancements and I have no doubt Apple's iPhone margins estimated in excess of 50 percent. However, I don’t think Apple is the biggest winner if we see it from a marketing perspective. For instance, iPhone business certainly builds up AT& T Wireless’s customer retention. The partnership between Apple and AT&T has given mutual benefits to both sides. Though, Network limitations and high prices may limit the potential of Apple’s iPhone.

I think your reportbuyer reference-- "Network limitations and high prices may limit the potential of Apple’s iPhone"-- is off the mark. Is this you?

True, some of the iPhone’s applications can be used offline (pics and music), while at home or in a café it can also be used on a WiFi network and you can even make VoIP calls that way, but users don’t like to be restricted to such limited network options.

While at home or in a cafe??? Where have you been?

Do you realize that almost all of the city of Phildelphia has free WiFi? Have you Googled "Free Wifi" recently? The number of free (and pay for) WiFi hotspots grows daily in the USA. The flaws and slowness of the EDGE network are nearly irrelevant to me. I travel quite a bit by train and plane, stay in hotels, etc. Many of those places have free or dirt cheap WiFi hotspots. Even before the iPhone, I planned a lot of my business trip itineraries (hotels and airports) mainly based on access to free WiFi.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    potatopotato Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

I think your reportbuyer reference-- "Network limitations and high prices may limit the potential of Apple?s iPhone"-- is off the mark. Is this you?

True, some of the iPhone?s applications can be used offline (pics and music), while at home or in a café it can also be used on a WiFi network and you can even make VoIP calls that way, but users don?t like to be restricted to such limited network options.

Do you realize that almost all of the city of Phildelphia has free WiFi? Have you Googled "Free Wifi" recently? The number of free (and pay for) WiFi hotspots grows daily in the USA. The flaws and slowness of the EDGE network are nearly irrelevant to me. I travel quite a bit by train and plane, stay in hotels, etc. Many of those places have free or dirt cheap WiFi hotspots. Even before the iPhone, I planned a lot of my business trip itineraries (hotels and airports) mainly based on access to free WiFi.

No, I didn?t write this blog but I know the person who posts it.

I am not in Philadelphia either. London hasn?t got free Wifi everyway yet. But we are going to have it soon.

Reference from Reportbuiyer Cities Aim For 24/7 Public Internet Connectivity.

It says about 400 cities in the US and UK have deployed or are currently building municipal wireless internet connections which will see service providers using the city?s infrastructure to provide community wireless access
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theapplegenius View Post

Apple is a huge winner, as are the customers because of the fact that someone stood up to a mobile operator. AT&T is the big loser, imo, because they gained a lot of short term subscribers but long term sentiment.

Apparently, the iPhone works all over the world. The scheme called AT&T World Traveler. I bet AT&T has made a lot of profit from that.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Essentially everyone. The first 3 are obvious, but the last one Others, basically the competition benefits because let's face it, nothing will fix a total brain drain than someone coming along to kick your ass.

Sebastian

As Apple has increased consumer awareness, it benefits many competitive software platform providers and mobile handset vendors.

just want to name some of them :

verizon wireless

Verizon Wireless offers cell phones, pdas, devices, cell phone plans, data plans etc.

Sprint nextel

Thy do Walkie-Talkie Phones
  • Reply 12 of 20
    bg_nycbg_nyc Posts: 189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

Lets all move to Philly for the free wifi!!! Uhhh... hold on a sec. Its actually not free at all, at least for some decent mps rates.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Seeing as how the iPhone has its own forum....
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Hi,

Thanx mate for suggeting this site for "Purchase Steroids"

keep it up!!!

:-)
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bg_nyc View Post

Lets all move to Philly for the free wifi!!! Uhhh... hold on a sec. Its actually not free at all, at least for some decent mps rates.

We all love freebies. Having low-cost or even free 24/7 internet connectivity while outdoors is definitely exciting news, but the money has to come from somewhere, probably more likely from: income tax / local tax.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Seeing as how the iPhone has its own forum....

easier for the users
  • Reply 17 of 20
    bg_nycbg_nyc Posts: 189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Potato View Post

We all love freebies. Having low-cost or even free 24/7 internet connectivity while outdoors is definitely exciting news, but the money has to come from somewhere, probably more likely from: income tax / local tax.

Yes, its exciting I do agree. But I do think the money is available for things like this. I pay alot of taxes every year, and I'd prefer my cash go to free wifi than another 6 months in Iraq and Alaskan superhighways. Both lead to nowhere.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bg_nyc View Post

Yes, its exciting I do agree. But I do think the money is available for things like this. I pay alot of taxes every year, and I'd prefer my cash go to free wifi than another 6 months in Iraq and Alaskan superhighways. Both lead to nowhere.

That?s true. Spending money on municipal wireless network is definitely much better than flashing them away in the Middle East.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    There should be an "All the above" in that poll.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

There should be an "All the above" in that poll.

That's true .