Multi-touch could make iPhone/iPod good game machines

thttht
Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Thought about it for a little bit, and I'm beginning to think multi-touch on the iPhone and on a prospective iPod with OS-X & multitouch will enable them to be decent for mobile games.



Solitaire and card games are easy.



For things like arcade/action games that need a 4 directions (up, down, left, right) plus maybe a couple of action buttons (fire, jump, etc), I think a touch sensitive UI can emulate it decently enough with half the screen (in portrait mode) while the other half is the game screen (or variation/mix of the two). Mario, Tetris, fighting games, FPS, galazza, pac-man, whathaveyou. Driving games too.



For games that need a pointing device, I think the multi-touch can really come through. Zuma, Pipe, Bejeweled type games are possible. What I would really like to see are real-time sim games (or even turn-based games). I'm imagining Age of Empires on the iPhone, and yeah, with a bit of zooming, pinching, selecting and moving, yeah, I can see myself enjoying it very much.



Can't wait to see how the games will turn out on the iPhone to see how they implement them.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 13
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    You're fired up about the iPhone. You've posted more in the last week than you have in the last six months, no?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    thttht Posts: 3,168member
    Yup!



    However, the last six months have been entirely too busy for me to play around forums a lot. So my participation varied.



    I am pretty curious about games and additional apps Apple will have for the iPhone. The multi-touch has got me curious since it can solve some problems with certain classes of games on a device with such a small screen. I'm quite curious on how virtual game controller pads will work. And RTS games would seem fun with the iPhone because of the pinching and zooming.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Anything that works well with nothing but a pointer will work well with the iPhone.



    Traditional arcade games won't. The more fast-twitch the game, the worse I think this interface is going to be. Don't even think of a virtual game pad.



    FPS could work if you stripped precise movement and shooting out of it, made it somewhat slower, and emphasized a multitude of tactical options available through gestures. Something like throwing a grenade might be really fun with an "analog" gesture that doesn't only trigger the action but directs it.



    Some kind of arcade driving might be fine; driving games tend to have essentially two analog inputs and you could use both side edges of the screen for the two controls. That provides for a nice physical mapping.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post


    Anything that works well with nothing but a pointer will work well with the iPhone.



    Traditional arcade games won't. The more fast-twitch the game, the worse I think this interface is going to be. Don't even think of a virtual game pad.



    FPS could work if you stripped precise movement and shooting out of it, made it somewhat slower, and emphasized a multitude of tactical options available through gestures. Something like throwing a grenade might be really fun with an "analog" gesture that doesn't only trigger the action but directs it.



    Some kind of arcade driving might be fine; driving games tend to have essentially two analog inputs and you could use both side edges of the screen for the two controls. That provides for a nice physical mapping.



    An opportunity for someone. A cradle to snap the iPhone into in landscape orientation, with game controlls on either side. Also w/ extra battery.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 31,015member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post


    You're fired up about the iPhone. You've posted more in the last week than you have in the last six months, no?



    And some people were bitching about Ron Paul posts.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    flinch13flinch13 Posts: 228member
    You are absolutely correct. I believe these games will start to make their appearance alongside the 6G iPod. All of the other features will have been made old-hat by the iPhone (large touchscreen display, OSX, etc), and the lack of wireless, internet, phone, etc may leave something to be desired. Games will be that something.



    Classic game emulation, anyone?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,572member
    Well see them start to pop up before Christmas. Apple released iPod games without any info leaking, same will happen here.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    SDK => Games
  • Reply 9 of 13
    jackbauerjackbauer Posts: 43member
    Don't you mean "good porn machines"
  • Reply 10 of 13
    thttht Posts: 3,168member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post


    An opportunity for someone. A cradle to snap the iPhone into in landscape orientation, with game controlls on either side. Also w/ extra battery.



    Yup. I had this exact same though. The cradle would have your typical portable game player controls, a larger battery, and a speaker.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Labyrinth. Using the entire phone as the controller. eh? eh?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post


    An opportunity for someone. A cradle to snap the iPhone into in landscape orientation, with game controlls on either side. Also w/ extra battery.



    Nah, that doesn't have a future. With zero market penetration, there's no reason to develop for it. With zero games supporting it, there's no reason to buy it. Remember, for roughly comparable price (it won't be cheap if it is good quality) and pocket space you could pick up a Nintendo DS, and DS is near invulnerable in that niche. The best you can do is sell games for the iPhone hardware people already have, playing to the strengths specific to that hardware.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post


    Labyrinth. Using the entire phone as the controller. eh? eh?



    That's a great fit.
Sign In or Register to comment.