Xbox 360 dilemma, Zune made out of the same area = IPod King for a day longer?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Microsoft has one big problem- A hefty amount of Xbox 360s are on the way back for repair. Microsoft said they will take a 1 Billion dollar hit on this 'recall'

My question is- Since the Zune player is out of the same entertainment and devices division will the people working on the Zune be pulled over to work on repairs / testing ?

We all know how little things can cause set backs- Like Apple having to delay OS X for the iPhone

Story below--

"SEATTLE -- Microsoft Corp. said Thursday it expects to spend more than $1 billion to repair widespread hardware problems in its Xbox 360 video game console after a large number of them broke down............"

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/..._Warranty.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    What's a Zune?

I haven't heard a single bit of news about them since the microsoft fanboys all got them in November and they've sold about 7 after that. (M$ followers are sad. At least us Apple fanboys actually have something cool/exciting/not sucky to be fawning about ) Just wait for the zune 2, which comes in exciting new colors like baby-barf green, as well as urine yellow and the original poo brown.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    If they know what parts needs to be checked and replaced, I am petty sure MS won't be diverting too many engineers to their techincal support division to do the repairs. Development and Engineering will likely not be affected at all by this. Any engineers or developers working on Zune and updates to XBox will not be involved in the recall beyond developing the fix, which should already be done (otherwise the recall is sort of pointless) and would not have been that resource intensive, relative to new product development.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    There was a thread about the 360s on here somewhere else.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=74878

Guess the problem was that serious. Still, it's Microsoft taking the hit, not the consumers. Maybe I'll get a 360 to increase their losses.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I am going to be extra mean and say good bloody hell they deserve it. Mostly my rage is directed at IBM for making shithouse, expensive, superhot, bollocks consumer-gaming-Mac-retail-etc. chips. I don't care about IBM's servers and their masturbatory supercomputers.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    And don't get me started on the PS3. I know it's not purely IBM, there's Toshiba and Sony with Cell. But Toshiba is facing stiff challenges with HDDVD, and as we all know, Sony is good but is playing catch up with iPod, and iPhone will nibble away at the otherwise stellar SonyEricsson.

The fact that the PS3 is this big boxy thing, that an nVidia 8800GTS can demolish current PS3 game graphics... I could go on but it would just be (more) flame baiting.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

What's a Zune?

I haven't heard a single bit of news about them since the microsoft fanboys all got them in November and they've sold about 7 after that. (M$ followers are sad. At least us Apple fanboys actually have something cool/exciting/not sucky to be fawning about ) Just wait for the zune 2, which comes in exciting new colors like baby-barf green, as well as urine yellow and the original poo brown.

For what it's worth*, on a total-units-sold basis iPod + iPhone will demolish all sales of Xbox360 + Zune, I predict... for July 2007 to June 2008. (Deja vu, man... I feel like I have posted this sentence about 3 times already in the past few years...).

*Profit margin, marketshare, marketing costs, whatever else aside. Though if you factor this in (even including Microsoft game unit (actual game DVDs) profits), the Zune + Xbox360 looks even worse.