If T-Mobile get the German rights to the iPhone...

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Would it be at all possible, at all, to somehow make it work on T-Mobile's network in the U.S.? I ask because as soon as my girlfriend heard that T-Mobile might be selling the phone in Germany, she had visions dancing in her head of somehow buying the phone from Germany and then using it here in the U.S. (we're both T-Mobile subscribers).

I told her there's no way that'd be possible, but I couldn't think of a technical reason why. Can someone spell it out for me so I can let her down easy?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Maybe you should let her down by asking her what her source is...
  • Reply 2 of 5
    tetzel1517tetzel1517 Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

Maybe you should let her down by asking her what her source is...

Her source is just her own scheming brain, I'm afraid. She tends to have wildly imaginative ideas that are usually awesome, if not possible.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Theoretically it would work, however everything on the phone would be in German and you'd pay for international roaming whenever you used the phone here. It's just not practical.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    tetzel1517tetzel1517 Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

Theoretically it would work, however everything on the phone would be in German and you'd pay for international roaming whenever you used the phone here. It's just not practical.

I suspect you could change the language on the phone, but you're right, there's no way around the international roaming.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member
    I think he's talking about using a US based T-Mobile Sim chip in a German T-Mobile locked phone.

Personally I don't have the answer. I don't know how similar German T-Mobile is to US T-Mobile. If in fact that even lock phones in Germany. I think your best bet is to wait until you can get an unlocked iPhone, then pop your T-Mobile sim in there..