Slow MacBook after software update

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello,

I'm having my MacBook (c2d, 2gig ram) for almost 6 months now and it has been working great. I am, however experiencing 2 problems at the same time now. The first problem happened a few days ago after installing an Apple software update. My mac keeps hanging (showing the rainbow turning round thing), wont properly shut down (clicking shutdown or restart doesnt do anything) and is VERY VERY slow. I dont really know if it has something to do with the software update or with the Adobe Creative Studio 3 i recently installed. I also can't really check what can be the problem coz it's so slow

The other problem I'm having for a week or so is that a CD got stuck. The CD still works but it just doesn't come out normally (it makes the come-out sound but then goes back in and ITunes keeps asking me if I want to import the songs (and i keep telling NO NO NO )

I dont really mind bout the CD coz I can bring it back to the apple shop but i'm worried bout the slow speed coz i need my mac to work on (i'm a self-employed flex developer)...

Sorry to bother you guys with this but does anyone have a clue what I can try to fix it? Or should I just take it back to the shop and hope they can help me without reformatting it?

Help will be greatly appriciated,

Stikkos

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    teedoff087teedoff087 Posts: 348member
    How much hard drive space do you have left?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    If you are low on hard drive space, as teedoff stated, free some up.

If you have plenty of space left, pop in the restore DVD's and reinstall your original operating system. If you do it right (choose "Archive and Install"), it will leave all of your data, but create a new System folder. It will revert you back to your original OS version (10.4.8, I'll assume), and you'll want to redo the system updates. Sometimes, an update can go awry, and you'll see negative side effects. It's pretty easily remedied.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    stikkosstikkos Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

If you are low on hard drive space, as teedoff stated, free some up.

If you have plenty of space left, pop in the restore DVD's and reinstall your original operating system. If you do it right (choose "Archive and Install"), it will leave all of your data, but create a new System folder. It will revert you back to your original OS version (10.4.8, I'll assume), and you'll want to redo the system updates. Sometimes, an update can go awry, and you'll see negative side effects. It's pretty easily remedied.

Thanks for the tip.

I can't however revert back to my original OS version by using the restore DVD's since I'm having a CD stuck in the superdrive

I contacted apple and they told me to see an official reseller to fix that problem first. Do you maybe know of some software i can download to fix the slow speed in the meanwhile?

Tx in advance

Stikkos
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Im having the same problems. I was speedy as can be before updates, after I got them installed this thing just sucks. Safari is worthless now. Ive got 68 gb free.