sharing files with ethernet

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
How do I share files between my pc and mac via ethernet? all of my music is on my pc and I want to move it over to my mac. (via ethernet)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Are they already together on a network? If so, it's a simple matter of turning on file sharing and copying files. You could set up a share on your PC, and mount that share on your Mac, or turn on Windows Sharing on your Mac, and connect to a shared directory on your Mac from your PC.

Either way, move your music files onto your Mac, then drag those files into the iTunes Library pane.

If the two computers aren't on a network together, you can simply cable the ethernet ports directly together. Each computer will end up with a zero-conf address (169.254.x.x) you can use for file sharing.'

Hopefully that's enough info to get you going. It would take several long paragraphs (which I don't feel like typing at the moment) to cover all of the ins and outs of this procedure in excruciating detail.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    PS: This thread should probably be in the Genius Bar, instead of Current Hardware.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shetline View Post

Are they already together on a network? If so, it's a simple matter of turning on file sharing and copying files. You could set up a share on your PC, and mount that share on your Mac, or turn on Windows Sharing on your Mac, and connect to a shared directory on your Mac from your PC.

Either way, move your music files onto your Mac, then drag those files into the iTunes Library pane.

If the two computers aren't on a network together, you can simply cable the ethernet ports directly together. Each computer will end up with a zero-conf address (169.254.x.x) you can use for file sharing.'

Hopefully that's enough info to get you going. It would take several long paragraphs (which I don't feel like typing at the moment) to cover all of the ins and outs of this procedure in excruciating detail.

Yup they are both on the same network and thanks for the help