Best Buy claims iPhone on its way to Canada

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple Inc.'s well-received iPhone handset will soon be in the hands of Canadian customers, according to Best Buy.

In a posting to its web site, the leading US and Canadian specialty electronics retailer claims that "iPhone will be coming to Canada" and promises to keep customers updated on Canadian iPhone developments as they're announced.

"It's beautiful, it's powerful and it's been all over the news; the question on the minds of Canadians from coast to coast is 'when can we get our hands on the iPhone?,'" wrote Best Buy. "The iPhone will be coming to Canada; we want you to be the first to know."

The retailer allows shoppers to sign up to its weekly newsletter with an option to be updated "on all Canadian iPhone Elements."

Still, it's unclear whether Best Buy will play a role in the Canadian iPhone launch or if its website posting is merely an attempt to capitalize on the buzz generated by the Apple device thus far.

For its part, Apple has not yet said with which wireless carriers it plans to partner on iPhone outside of the US. However, Rogers Wireless, Canada's largest provider and the only regional carrier with an iPhone-compatible GSM network, has long been perceived as the frontrunner.

In fact, Rogers in January issued a customer advisory notice declaring that it had sealed a deal with Apple to become the exclusive carrier for iPhone in Canada.

The advisory, which was later contradicted by a company spokesperson, claimed that while availability and pricing were still being sorted out, Rogers would be the only national wireless carrier to offer the Apple handset.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    11thindian11thindian Posts: 181member
    I hope this isn't all light and no heat. The respective players have all been maddeningly quiet on the iPhone's future in Canada. I always expected a lag between the US and CAN launch- this is always going to be the case when 3rd parties are involved. Such as in the impact the CRTC is having on getting TV and MOVIE content to iTunes in Canada. Still, I think a target date would satisfy many...
  • Reply 2 of 29
    ajhillajhill Posts: 81member
    With Apple and ATT selling some huge quantity of iPhones, and learning from the massive rush to activate them, they should learn a thing or two about what to expect. This should lead to a smoother roll out for Canadians.

Apple hasn't mentioned how many they have sold. But it's likely much higher than expected, since they were having trouble keeping it in stock in stores. So the Canadians may have to wait for supply to catch up with demand here in the states before the launch goes forward.

For sure Canada and Europe should be well on it's way before the key Christmas buying season.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    Does anyone know where we are at with number portability in Canada (for those not on the Rogers network)? Also, what data speed does Rogers use? Is it the same as the current AT&T speed in the USA or the quicker data rate?

Finally, the question about the iPhone that I have is how does the phone itself sound? Is the sound quality good (for both the caller and the person receiving the call), because I use my phone primarily to talk and if it doesn't sound as close to a land line as possibe, I wouldn't buy one (no matter how great the gadgets are).

grover
  • Reply 4 of 29
    PS

There is no mention of the iPhone on the Canadian site as of 10:15 am Central Time.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grover432 View Post

Does anyone know where we are at with number portability in Canada (for those not on the Rogers network)?

Number Portability is up and running in Canada, between all mobile networks, and it does allow you to port a land-line.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    So is that how to spell developments in Canada
  • Reply 7 of 29
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

Why do you ask?
  • Reply 8 of 29
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple Inc.'s well-received iPhone handset will soon be in the hands of Canadian customers, according to Best Buy.

Interesting, but without the link (http://www.bestbuy.ca/marketing/ipho...gon=&langid=EN) supplied in this article, using 'SEARCH' for 'iphone' within the Best Buy site turns up empty. Even the French site is available via http://www.bestbuy.ca/marketing/ipho...gon=&langid=FR
  • Reply 9 of 29
    Guess I better start saving!
  • Reply 10 of 29
    I spoke to a Rogers rep last week that told me Rogers had just finished their deal with Apple and are aiming for an October release.

No other details yet, but I haven't seen this deal announced. She said it was an internal memo.

Trevor
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trevorpercy View Post

I spoke to a Rogers rep last week that told me Rogers had just finished their deal with Apple and are aiming for an October release.

No other details yet, but I haven't seen this deal announced. She said it was an internal memo.

Trevor

Rogers Reps' information is garbage. Let's just leave it at that.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

No kidding. There are two other spelling/grammatical errors in that ad, as well. I've already sent them feedback through the website. Let's see how long it takes them to fix something so obvious.

Just sad.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Hmm... I posted about this nearly 9 hours before you guys. Do try and keep up.

Quote:

Looks like BestBuy will be carrying the iPhone in Canada as well as I assume Rogers Wireless & Apple stores.

Here's a link to page on BB's website where you can sign up to keep abreast of any iphone related news (ie. release date, etc.)

http://www.bestbuy.ca/marketing/ipho...gon=&langid=EN

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=74510
  • Reply 14 of 29
    grbgrb Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flipstar View Post

Rogers Reps' information is garbage. Let's just leave it at that.

I wouldn't be so sure. I've seen this exact same story come from several sources during the past week or so (that the Rogers-Apple contract has been signed with an October target release), and this is the first time I've ever seen a single story repeated like this. Let me just say this: Keep your eyes pinned on the Rogers website.

And grover432's right, they took the link off the Best Buy cellphone page. Probably Rogers or Apple complained that they were letting the cat out of the bag too early.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    and we all know how mr jobs feels about gettin' his plans pre-announced by others. i'm guessing best buy just lost any chance on being in on this, if indeed it was ever happening to begin with. i have a feeling that goes for rogers' announcement in january as well. canada has always been off the radar for apple. sigh...
  • Reply 16 of 29
    daveyjjdaveyjj Posts: 120member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

and we all know how mr jobs feels about gettin' his plans pre-announced by others. i'm guessing best buy just lost any chance on being in on this, if indeed it was ever happening to begin with.

Well it has to be someone like Best Buy (Canada) who also own all of the Future Shop locations across Canada. Apple's retail presence in Canada is limited to three stores in the Toronto area so they'll need to co-sell through a huge electronics chain here to get the phones out across the country. Rogers Video stores aren't nearly widespread enough anywhere outside of the main urban centres around here to have as much presence and volume as Apple would like to see.

Hopefully they appear in Future Shop locations too.

I'd certainly bet Best Buy/Future Shop before anyone else (not that there's reallty anyone else to consider, unless Zellers or The Bay carries it, and I imagine that's too funny to even consider).
  • Reply 17 of 29
    grbgrb Posts: 7member
    Quote:

and we all know how mr jobs feels about gettin' his plans pre-announced by others. i'm guessing best buy just lost any chance on being in on this, if indeed it was ever happening to begin with. i have a feeling that goes for rogers' announcement in january as well. canada has always been off the radar for apple. sigh...

Don't be so pessimistic. With all the information I've seen, I'm expecting a significant development occuring within the next couple weeks.

And also, I have heard that Best Buy in Canada has agreed with Apple to begin opening "mini-Apple Stores" inside Best Buy stores starting this summer. I have head this from multiple sources and some people who even tried out for the jobs at these Apple Stores. So, it appears that Best Buy already has the chance to be in this.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    davey-nbdavey-nb Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveyJJ View Post

Apple's retail presence in Canada is limited to three stores in the Toronto area...

There's an Apple Store in Montréal as well for a grand total of 4.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:

The iPhone is already announced. Steve Jobs doesn't much care about when it is coming to Canada - the public has already seen the device. It's no longer a big deal.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    This is just a cheap ploy to harvest email addresses for Best Buy marketing. They have no idea when the iPhone is coming.