ADB in tiger?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I am desperately trying to get an ADB Wacom tablet to work through an imate usb adaptor on a MBP running tiger 10.4.9.

There appears to be no driver for the imate for OS later than 10.3.9

Any bright ideas?

I just cannot afford a new tablet, if it's not possible, any ideas why?

Thanks for your help

Liam

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,343moderator
    Wacom FAQ:

"There are a number of reasons for Wacom?s decision to not support ADB & serial tablets on OS X, most of which originate outside the realm of influence of Wacom:

(a) Apple is an early leader in the move away from ?legacy? connectivity. Wacom has worked closely with Apple in order to introduce USB tablet functionality to OS X. Apple is not prioritising any efforts towards legacy support. As such, Wacom recommends users utilize OS 9.X for older ?legacy? Apple computers if serial or ADB tablet compatibility is required. When users upgrade to latest ?legacy-free? computers (with USB and Firewire only), they should upgrade to USB graphics tablets for compatibility and reliability.

(b) Most users that use ADB or serial tablets on a newer Macs do so through some sort of USB adapter. Wacom finds that these adapters pose many problems even under OS 9, and Wacom will not support these devices running under OS X due to new and existing compatibility constraints.

(c) USB is the future. It makes sense for Apple, Wacom, and our mutual customers to focus on optimised USB integration for OS X. This USB tablet integration effort has been a huge effort for both Apple and Wacom and we are pleased to currently offer USB support for OS X (10.1 or higher) with significant help and support from Apple.

Therefore, the decision to not support ADB and serial connections on OS X is best for everyone - for customers, for Wacom and for Apple. If you plan to continue using your serial or ADB tablet on an older computer, Wacom suggests not upgrading your system to OS X.

Wacom understands that this may be disappointing news for some users of older tablets and appeals to all customers? good sense. Technology progresses continuously and it is this same progress that brings us the always new and better standards and products that we look forward to - including OS X itself."

http://www.wacom-europe.com/uk/suppo...faq.asp?id=123

The Wacom Volito USB seems pretty cheap but I think that's a UK product and although it says Windows only, it supposedly work under OS X. Ebay has some ok deals on USB Wacom tablets.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    mrliammmmrliammm Posts: 13member
    Thanks Marvin,

I guess that's it for another piece of perfectly good but outmoded plastic and wires.

Landfill?

Thanks WACOM
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrliammm View Post

I guess that's it for another piece of perfectly good but outmoded plastic and wires.

Landfill?

I get the feeling a lot of us will be saying that in a decade or so when everyone's on powered wireless USB3.

If only Apple would release some touch screen iMacs or something and people wouldn't even have to bother about a Wacom. I'd much rather draw direct onto a screen but screen-based tablets cost a fortune. Since Apple wouldn't just be marketing to a niche user-base they'd be able to cut costs.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mrliammmmrliammm Posts: 13member
    no no, "USB is the future" it will never ever ever change ever.

Do you think touch screens would be capable of 1000 plus levels of sensitivity?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrliammm View Post

Do you think touch screens would be capable of 1000 plus levels of sensitivity?

The Modbook tablet Mac has already managed 512 levels:

http://www.axiotron.com/

I'm not sure how easy it would be to go higher but I reckon it will be possible.