Does the iPhone have a 300 recharge cycle battery?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Someone showed me a review today that shows the iPhone just can be charged 300 times. Is that true? I'm hoping to have iPhone 2.0 within a year but this just doesn't sound nice. I know the replacement is $85 and it's not user replaceable but that sure is a short battery life. I know with most battery technology they often last 2-3 years.

What is the best way to get maximum battery life? The guy that showed me the review just runs his battery down each time and often goes over 2 days between charges but I charge mine nightly and this is important to me since I want to be able to sync it daily. Most of all, is there any truth or this or estimates? I know maybe we'll only know in a year when we see how battery life is or how much it's shortened.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickr10 View Post

Someone showed me a review today that shows the iPhone just can be charged 300 times. Is that true? I'm hoping to have iPhone 2.0 within a year but this just doesn't sound nice. I know the replacement is $85 and it's not user replaceable but that sure is a short battery life. I know with most battery technology they often last 2-3 years.

What is the best way to get maximum battery life? The guy that showed me the review just runs his battery down each time and often goes over 2 days between charges but I charge mine nightly and this is important to me since I want to be able to sync it daily. Most of all, is there any truth or this or estimates? I know maybe we'll only know in a year when we see how battery life is or how much it's shortened.

The reviewer is an idiot.

Check the Apple website. 80% capacity after 400 cycles.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html
  • Reply 2 of 4
    fuzz_ballfuzz_ball Posts: 390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickr10 View Post

I charge mine nightly and this is important to me since I want to be able to sync it daily

A charge cycle is not the number of times you connect your iPhone to a charger. A charge cycle is complete charge/use. So for instance, you fully charge your phone. You use it for the day, and by the time you get home, you have 50% battery left. You stick it on your dock for the night so it recharges to 100% and re-syncs. Next day you take it to work, like the first day, you use 50% of the available charge. You have now used 1 charge cycle (50% yesterday, 50% today). Theoretically you could use 10% per day and recharge every day, and you would not use a full cycle until the end of the 10th day.

Also, like they said above, it doesn't stop working after 300-400 charge cycles, it just has diminished capacity.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    mullmanmullman Posts: 26member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuzz_ball View Post

A charge cycle is not the number of times you connect your iPhone to a charger. A charge cycle is complete charge/use. So for instance, you fully charge your phone. You use it for the day, and by the time you get home, you have 50% battery left. You stick it on your dock for the night so it recharges to 100% and re-syncs. Next day you take it to work, like the first day, you use 50% of the available charge. You have now used 1 charge cycle (50% yesterday, 50% today). Theoretically you could use 10% per day and recharge every day, and you would not use a full cycle until the end of the 10th day.

Also, like they said above, it doesn't stop working after 300-400 charge cycles, it just has diminished capacity.

This is exactly my scenario.

Using approx 50% of battery capacity every day and just top off each night.

In this scenario my phone should still be perfectly functional in two years.

Historically I get a new phone every 12-24 months anyway, so am not sure what all the fuss is about.

It is just FUD from Steve Balmer and friends.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    having to replace that battery every 10 months would suck