ars review of iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Always popular. The ars review of the iPhone is posted. Enjoy.

iPhone in depth: the Ars review

The toilet test was fun.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I read it this morning. Pretty good review, but after 5 reviews you basically know what they are all going to say.

1. iPhone has a revolutionary GUI.

2. EDGE is slow! No 3G? WTF!

3. Smashing time!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    One thing I've noticed across multiple reviews here and there is that people's experience of battery life varies wildly.

I know use patterns make all the difference, but it seems like the results are all over the map even controlling for that.

I think I read somewhere that more than a few people have gotten Apple to exchange their phone because of subpar battery performance, whereupon things improve dramatically.

Hope that, if there a battery problem, Apple goes public and encourages exchanges. Otherwise, bad bats could give people the wrong impression about the iPhone's performance.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

I read it this morning. Pretty good review, but after 5 reviews you basically know what they are all going to say.

3. Smashing time!

Hulk SMASH!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

One thing I've noticed across multiple reviews here and there is that people's experience of battery life varies wildly.

I know use patterns make all the difference, but it seems like the results are all over the map even controlling for that.

I think I read somewhere that more than a few people have gotten Apple to exchange their phone because of subpar battery performance, whereupon things improve dramatically.

Hope that, if there a battery problem, Apple goes public and encourages exchanges. Otherwise, bad bats could give people the wrong impression about the iPhone's performance.

I've seen crazy battery life differences too. You have one review saying they pulled 26 hours playing music, then ARS says they got about 12 hours. ARS alludes to different iPhone settings (WiFi on/off, airplane mode on, etc.), but it just seems there is a battery issue with the iPhone.

For example, it took about 5 times trying to charge my iPhone's battery fully before the usage meter in settings finally recorded that my iPhone had been fully charged. I've left the iPhone on the charger the last two nights and cannot get the iPhone to report the battery has been fully recharged again.

I'm not sure if this is a firmware issue or what. I'm getting decent battery life and am not having any other problems with my phone so I don't want to return it and get a different one that may have problems. Hopefully Apple will come out with some kind of update soon.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

Hulk SMASH!!!

I've seen crazy battery life differences too. You have one review saying they pulled 26 hours playing music, then ARS says they got about 12 hours. ARS alludes to different iPhone settings (WiFi on/off, airplane mode on, etc.), but it just seems there is a battery issue with the iPhone.

For example, it took about 5 times trying to charge my iPhone's battery fully before the usage meter in settings finally recorded that my iPhone had been fully charged. I've left the iPhone on the charger the last two nights and cannot get the iPhone to report the battery has been fully recharged again.

I'm not sure if this is a firmware issue or what. I'm getting decent battery life and am not having any other problems with my phone so I don't want to return it and get a different one that may have problems. Hopefully Apple will come out with some kind of update soon.

Here's a review by a popular Wintel Guru & nutcase Barry Gerber of Geardigest, a long time Apple hater. He swore months ago he would not go near an iPhone. His in-depth review has a good section on battery life. In the end, it seems that Barry will be keeping his iPhone after all--as much as he wants to dislike Apple and the iPhone, he can't resist it.

http://www.geardigest.com/2007/07/09...iew_revisited/
  • Reply 5 of 7
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

3. Smashing time!

I'm quite impressed on the iPhone's durability. Hopefully the improved design will filter down to the next iPod revisions.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k squared View Post

I'm quite impressed on the iPhone's durability. ...

Sure but Will It Blend?

"iSmoke, don't breath that."
  • Reply 7 of 7
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Outstanding thread and thanks for the ARS review link.