Anyone drop their phone yet?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
So far so good for me. I was wondering if anyone had the misfortune of dropping their iPhone and, if so, what was the result?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Hey, let's make it a contest!
  • Reply 2 of 17
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I dropped mine last Sunday. It fell out of my hand (one of those involuntary unclench moments that get me from time to time) onto the vinyl flooring in my kitchen. It was probably a 3 foot (1 meter) drop with a slight bounce. Doesn't seem to have hurt my iPhone at all but am definitely trying not to repeat the experience.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I've dropped mine 3 times already, twice in one day, with no scratches and no problems at all with the phone.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    This is as good a time as any for Apple to start selling rubber flooring tiles.

"Apple iTiles... Bounce your phone."
  • Reply 5 of 17
    chromoschromos Posts: 191member
    My cat is in the awful habit of knocking things off countertops, in order to make noise to wake me in the morning so I can feed her. For some reason, perhaps because it was shiny and gleaming, or perhaps because she was jealous , she knocked my iPhone off the counter twice, mealtime notwithstanding.

The thing is solidly built, let me tell you. No problems.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    I dropped mine a couple times, but never very hard. But then on the third day i had it, it fell out of my pocket straigt onto a very sharp edge of a piece of rackmount audio gear on the floor, and there was a big nasty straight line dent in the back...I was so pissed. But then I found a really non-obvious dead pixel totally by accident and I was like YESSSS. So I went to the apple store and they replaced it! That's what I'm typing on now. The other day I was at the ups store and the guy was asking me about my phone, and I took a boxcutter and ran it across the screen HARD, and there was nothing to show for it. The guy was impressed
  • Reply 7 of 17
    reeve76reeve76 Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psychobass213 View Post

The other day I was at the ups store and the guy was asking me about my phone, and I took a boxcutter and ran it across the screen HARD, and there was nothing to show for it. The guy was impressed

Risky, but wow its hard to belive it could withstand it without even a scratch
  • Reply 8 of 17
    beleybeley Posts: 30member
    There is a video of someone testing an iPhone for an article and they tried their best to scratch the screen and couldn't. They also couldn't get it to break, even after dropping it half a dozen times on the concrete from about 5ft.

I've dropped mine about 4 times, once on our linoleum floor (just on top of concrete) from about 4ft. Not a scratch.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    they must have used some kind of NASA space telescope lens glass or something
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Are there a lot of klutzes in here or is the iPhone easy to drop? I think I've dropped my phone twice in a couple years and I have it with me most of the time.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daffy_Duck View Post

Are there a lot of klutzes in here or is the iPhone easy to drop? I think I've dropped my phone twice in a couple years and I have it with me most of the time.

See, pasty nerds that sit in the basement all day on AI sometimes lack fine motor control. But I do think the design makes it slipperier than a 'normal' phone that might have a lot of grooves or other places that would make it easier to grip.

But dropping it has to be better than doing this.

Not for the queasy.

It did appear to hold up for a while and the glass screen was intact much longer than the rest of it.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beley View Post

There is a video of someone testing an iPhone for an article and they tried their best to scratch the screen and couldn't. They also couldn't get it to break, even after dropping it half a dozen times on the concrete from about 5ft.

I've dropped mine about 4 times, once on our linoleum floor (just on top of concrete) from about 4ft. Not a scratch.

It's at ars

But the real question is Will It Blend.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daffy_Duck View Post

Sort of like designing the new power cord on the PowerBook/MacBook Pro with a "pull away" detachable power cord? In all the years of running portable/luggable macs from PowerBook 100 through a whole range, to Pismo G3 and PB G4, I never knocked mine off the table with the cord.

In the first week I had my new PB with the new cord I pulled it free 3 times! Thank god they've solved the problem I did not know I had just in time!
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Looks like the iPhone took several pretty good lickings from that blender before it gave up the ghost.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theapplegenius View Post

Looks like the iPhone took several pretty good lickings from that blender before it gave up the ghost.

Look for the "Will It Blend?" guy to shortly succumb to some rare and heinous lung disorder. You couldn't pay me to stand next to that fine mist of plastic, heavy metals, and glass.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Look for the "Will It Blend?" guy to shortly succumb to some rare and heinous lung disorder. You couldn't pay me to stand next to that fine mist of plastic, heavy metals, and glass.

Don't forget the battery chemicals. Apple should call it iCancer.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    you get a free iphone if u find a dead pixel?...wat if you find out that the rubber between bettal and the glass a piece is missing at the bottom right corner?