ALERT: Don't break your iPhone screen, because if you do, Apple won't fix it.

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I came into the Apple store around 11:45, expecting to pay a rather large price for repair on a crack in the middle of the phone's screen. The Apple Genius (named Gary, actually a really nice guy) told me that it would be $250. After a few moments, I smacked myself in the forehead a second time for dropping the thing and said that was OK. He went into the back room for about five minutes.

By the time he came out, he apologized (once again, the Genius is not the problem) and told me there simply was no way to repair the screen. Apple has no policy for one, and if the user breaks the screen then they simply have to live with it. Gary tried to comfort me by saying that the policy may change, but basically that (realistically) means that if I want to use a phone without a large crack on it, I'll have to fork over another 600 dollars.

My anger and sadness with Apple right now really can't be expressed. It was obviously my own stupid fault for dropping it, but having absolutely no way to fix it? Apple, that's just fucking ridiculous.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    My guess is that parts supplies are *highly* constrained at the moment.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    go to another store or the same store with a different person, and say, hey i got this gift from my wife/girlfriend the other day, and i was wondering, is there supposed to be a big crack in the screen?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

go to another store or the same store with a different person, and say, hey i got this gift from my wife/girlfriend the other day, and i was wondering, is there supposed to be a big crack in the screen?

That would be dishonest.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

My guess is that parts supplies are *highly* constrained at the moment.

That is probably why the guy had a $250.00 price right away when he walked in. Apple probably had to pull that policy off the table until demand for the product is down to a lesser roar, or until supplies can be increased. I would guess you'll have to deal with it for about a month.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    michaelbmichaelb Posts: 242member
    That seems a complete 180 from this guy's experience:

http://www.geekologie.com/2007/07/gu...his_iphone.php

If you can't get any love from Apple, did you buy it on credit card? Which one?

Some cards have a buyer protection policy, which is basically insurance covering accidental breakage within the first 30-90 days of purchase.

I buy tech items on my Gold Visa for this very reason.