new imacs to introduce click wheel apple remote?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
wouldn't that be great? especially if the new version of front row is more developed. it's surprising they don't have it already: it's patented and there must be so many ipod owning switchers wondering why their apple remote isn't as easy-to-use as their ipod

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The click wheel is dead, lone live multi-touch. The new iMac's will come with the same remote. The iPod and the iPod nano will be going with multi-touch, and you may be able to use them to control your Mac, at a point.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    That would actually rock for me. I wonder if they would work on the current hardware, more importantly the current MBPs. I would buy one. But I do think that front row needs some sort of major update since it is fairly slow in my experience.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I tink I poo poo my pants.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I tink I poo poo my pants.

?????
  • Reply 5 of 7
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The click wheel is dead, lone live multi-touch. The new iMac's will come with the same remote. The iPod and the iPod nano will be going with multi-touch, and you may be able to use them to control your Mac, at a point.

i agree that multi-touch supersedes the click/scroll wheel for the ipopd & iphone but it is surely still a very relevant and useful technology for a device such as the remote.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post

i agree that multi-touch supersedes the click/scroll wheel for the ipopd & iphone but it is surely still a very relevant and useful technology for a device such as the remote.

2007 is, 2008 was.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    hujibhujib Posts: 117member
    The Multi-Touch interface only works with a graphic display of what's being controlled on the same unit. On a small device the "fixed" controls of a scroll-wheel still work VERY well. With something like FrontRow/AppleTV you've got the controls on screen so you're looking at them while not looking at your hand.