MacBook Pro vs. Alienware

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to buy a laptop for desktop replacement. I want a laptop that will allow me to play games for at least another 1.5 years. After that, I will only be using the laptop for general word processing/email.

I really would like to purchase a Mac, I like the sleekness, and I believe I have been converted to OS X. However I have my doubts at it's ability to keep up with future gaming needs.

My other option is to buy one of the Alienware gaming laptops, their big, their builky, but their going to suit my needs. But when it comes time that it will just be used for general stuff, it's size and weight will really become a pain.

I'm looking for opinions, from Mac users (biased, I know). But I need to know what people think about MacBook's and their ability to keep up with future gaming trends. As much as I would like a beast that can run top settings in anything, I guess my primary focus is to get something that will just get me through.

Look forwards to your replies.

Chris

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xFluid View Post

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to buy a laptop for desktop replacement. I want a laptop that will allow me to play games for at least another 1.5 years. After that, I will only be using the laptop for general word processing/email.

I really would like to purchase a Mac, I like the sleekness, and I believe I have been converted to OS X. However I have my doubts at it's ability to keep up with future gaming needs.

My other option is to buy one of the Alienware gaming laptops, their big, their builky, but their going to suit my needs. But when it comes time that it will just be used for general stuff, it's size and weight will really become a pain.

I'm looking for opinions, from Mac users (biased, I know). But I need to know what people think about MacBook's and their ability to keep up with future gaming trends. As much as I would like a beast that can run top settings in anything, I guess my primary focus is to get something that will just get me through.

Look forwards to your replies.

Chris

I don't think many people here would recommend the pc unless you want serious gaming instead of casual. I just installed boot camp for playing halo and apart from being reminded why I love OS X over any windows OS, my experience pretty much sucked (I will post a link to it soon) and I would STRONGLY recommend backing up any data before hand if you were to go that route. The alienware will most likely cost you more than the MBP and the current MBPs are pretty decent spec-wise unless you want some insane thing like a quad core processor with 512 VRAM. But as for ANY non-gaming stuff (apart from tons of semi-useful freeware apps) OS X is SOOOO much of a better experience than windows that I would factor it in as around $400 in the price of the computer (a $1,600 pc being equal to a $2,000 mac with the same specs). Size and weight: this thing is light and beautiful and compact. I love it.

edit: here is the link.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    reeve76reeve76 Posts: 37member
    Alienwares, being good computers have several flaws.

1. The size is terrible for transportation

2. Your basically paying money on the alienware case

3. Unless your a serious serious gamer the macbook pro will suit your needs, the graphics card in the macbook pro is good enough to play most to all games.

4. If you are still worried about game performace, just upgrade hard drive space, RAM, and graphics card

5. No OSX on alienwares, they are very prone to getting a virus, plus Leopord comes out in october.

Overall you should definetley go with the mac. Better transportation and you can get good gaming performance from the mac. You dont need everything in the alienware, and if you really did need it for gaming, Then order all the parts you want and have someone put together a custom computer for you.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    So what types of games do you play exactly? FPS? RTS? Strategy? Do you absolutely require good performance for games that come out a year from now, or would you be happy to play only some of the new games plus any "backlogged" good games that are out now?

It's all about the graphics, so look at 8600M benchmarks and see if you are happy with the level of performance it provides. Looks to me that all current games will run on it at 1280x800 resolution and reasonable amount of effects turned on, and at competetive framerates (which I define as "high enough that they do not significantly handicap the player in multiplayer"). Single player gaming demands less from the computer.

My gut feeling is the MBP will serve you well as a gaming machine for one and a half years. You'll be booting into Windows to play almost all games; better to go with XP than Vista because the performance is significantly better, and the very few future games that require Vista are mostly going to be out of reach in performance. Blizzard's games are practically the only ones you won't need to boot for. You will have to go to a low resolution for Crysis (a FPS out in November) and your graphics are close to minimum required. Towards next summer or fall there'll probably be some game out that the computer can't handle.

A gaming laptop is always going to be a half-baked solution when the games you run are new. If possible, you should seek to move the bulk of your gaming onto a desktop.

I personally gave up PC gaming when I bought a Mac, with the idea of having a PS2 to tide me over, and getting a gaming desktop in two years or so. Well, that didn't happen. Among other things, I didn't want components aging a year while I'm in the Army. Now I'm pushing five years without any PC/Mac gaming to speak of. This fall I'm definitely getting the desktop though. *cough* Starcraft 2 *cough*
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reeve76 View Post

4. If you are still worried about game performace, just upgrade hard drive space, RAM, and graphics card

If someone is actually worried about game performance on the MBP, then they should not buy it. HD and graphics RAM upgrades have a minuscule effect on gaming. You should have 2GB memory in any case, and games won't care if you have more than that.
    Quote:

5. No OSX on alienwares, they are very prone to getting a virus, plus Leopord comes out in october.

If you use quality software, no warez or random crap off the net, no Internet Explorer or Outlook Express, Windows is not prone to viruses. I used Windows 2000 Professional without a firewall or real-time virus scanner for years and never picked up anything nasty. All my daily use software was reputable open source stuff.
    Quote:

Overall you should definetley go with the mac. Better transportation and you can get good gaming performance from the mac. You dont need everything in the alienware, and if you really did need it for gaming, Then order all the parts you want and have someone put together a custom computer for you.

Custom laptop? Ehh...
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

If someone is actually worried about game performance on the MBP, then they should not buy it. HD and graphics RAM upgrades have a minuscule effect on gaming. You should have 2GB memory in any case, and games won't care if you have more than that.If you use quality software, no warez or random crap off the net, no Internet Explorer or Outlook Express, Windows is not prone to viruses. I used Windows 2000 Professional without a firewall or real-time virus scanner for years and never picked up anything nasty. All my daily use software was reputable open source stuff.Custom laptop? Ehh...

the macs video card will be enough to play most games. i have a dell default 64 mb video card from like 4 years ago, and i was able to play counter strike, and counterstrike condition zero, but not source , up untill my computer crashed and fried the card, and now i can barely play 1.6 D:. so you'll be good with either the lower end macbook pro or the middle one. just get 2 gb ram D:
  • Reply 6 of 11
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    If gaming is your #1 priority, then get the Alienware, but make sure you keep it well tuned and free of junk, otherwise it will be slower than the Mac.

If you want a nice portable and you like to game every now and again, go with the MacBook Pro.

I guess it comes down to priorities. OS X is a much better platform, however there are more games available for the PC and there's DirectX 10 in Vista.

I guess it all comes down to your priorities and what tool you want for the job.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    My work buddies go through Alienware boxes like crap through a goose. The QA is even worse now that they are Dell than it was before they were bought out. They just keep buying them because the warranty is like a constant upgrade cycle for them. But they religiously set them to image at night so when it does die they don't have to rebuild everything. Terrible way to live if you ask me.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    If you got something like the 7800 or 7950 in the Alienware, it will stomp all over the 8600M; the 8600 performs worse than the 7600 in most benchmarks, but it is DX10 compliant.

However, I am unsure if Alienware is coming out with 8700M, but that's just a overclocked 8600M, and it would probably be beaten by the high-end 7-series anyhow.

Vista for games isn't too bad anymore either - with the latest Nvidia drivers (166.xx), I can get most of my games running fine on my 6800. As far as viruses, it's very difficult to get one, unless you're totally reckless online, and probably avoid IE unless you are running Vista, as it runs in protected mode on that. Opera FTW.

Alienware laptops are a beast though; there really are desktop replacements, I've seen one model that tips the scales at 12 lbs.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

the macs video card will be enough to play most games. i have a dell default 64 mb video card from like 4 years ago, and i was able to play counter strike, and counterstrike condition zero, but not source , up untill my computer crashed and fried the card, and now i can barely play 1.6 D:.

What's that have to do with anything? I remember my pal played CS with an AMD K6 box. I played with an original Radeon SDR with 32MB. This game is ancient.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

What's that have to do with anything? I remember my pal played CS with an AMD K6 box. I played with an original Radeon SDR with 32MB. This game is ancient.

it means that if you can play a game like that with a terrible graphics card, then you can defininitly play higher end games with the 128 or 256 vid cards offered by apple.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

it means that if you can play a game like that with a terrible graphics card, then you can defininitly play higher end games with the 128 or 256 vid cards offered by apple.

I agree with the conclusion, as seen from my first post on this thread, but I think the reasoning you're using is surreal.