Latest Macbookpro 15.4"

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello everyone,

first post.

I am very keen to get the latest macbook pro being a graphic designer but upon researching it I have found numerous articles about it not displaying millions or colours only 26k etc and lots of display issues. Would I be right in believing that with this latest release and new screen type that those issues are now fixed and it would be adequate for someone in design who needs a high quality display for photographs etc?

I would be looking at the widescreen matte also because I feel that glossy would provide rich colours yes, but perhaps not as realistic and accurate.

also is it really worth the extra in speed for the faster rpm hd?

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    easyceasyc Posts: 69member
    Lets see. You need to search this forum for an old thread that's title was something like "Apple Lawsuit over display colors". Your concern over the amount of colors is a good on because the advertised amount says millions when in fact it isnt, Again refer to the thread, its about a month old or so. There is a lwasuit for false advertisement ect. and the newer MBP still do not have "millions' of colors. The display is great though, very bright and crisp, I have the matte and Ive found it to be fine with the editing I have done in the last few weeks since getting my machine.

Second, not really any display problems. You may have heard about the yellowish tinit, well it seems to not be a big problem because only about 4 people have really had a problem with it that wasnt fixed by changing display settings. Also check the other thread you posted in "Should I get the new MBP (2.4)" or whatever the damn title is.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SilverJ View Post

Hello everyone,

first post.

I am very keen to get the latest macbook pro being a graphic designer but upon researching it I have found numerous articles about it not displaying millions or colours only 26k etc and lots of display issues. Would I be right in believing that with this latest release and new screen type that those issues are now fixed and it would be adequate for someone in design who needs a high quality display for photographs etc?

I would be looking at the widescreen matte also because I feel that glossy would provide rich colours yes, but perhaps not as realistic and accurate.

also is it really worth the extra in speed for the faster rpm hd?

thanks in advance.

I'm also a graphic designer and my advice to you would be to get the matte if you're doing print materials. If not, the glossy should be just fine. As far as the number of colors is concerned, I'd recommend using an external monitor to check colors, although personally I haven't noticed any problems in the models I've looked at.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I am an art director/graphic designer as well - I'd definitely advise you to go with the matte finish for accuracy - I've done plenty of print work on my ol' Titanium g4 powerbook - if you calibrate properly it will be fine, especially if you're tweaking proofs via a printhouse and their systems. Or use a cinema display or comparable hi-end and color accurate display hooked up to your laptop.

As far as the 7200 vs. 5400 rpm hard drive question:

can anybody give some stats or input on the improvement you'd see in print apps like photoshop/illustrator/indesign or others... or does it just make noticeable improvements with video? I'm looking to upgrade to the new machine too and wondering about the advantage.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    easyceasyc Posts: 69member
    Its been my experience that the faster HD really is only noticable when handeling large files. Its just like external HD's, when you grab a small photo from a USB or firwire HD it wont really matter, but when you import that huge movie file, yeah you see the difference. To me it really come down to your usage of the machine. If moving larger things frequently and with mutiple apps running then faster HD is the way to go. If not then 5200 will get you around fine.