Applications for iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Now that I've had a chance to play around with the phone for a couple of weeks, I've started building some ajax applications for it. My first application is for the self checkout at the grocery store. I prefer the self checkout over the regular cashier but you have to memorize all the PLU codes for produce.

At Ralph's here in California the software they use is not as robust as the Albertsons one which has pictures to select, but Ralph's is close to my house. So I wrote an application to mimic the Albertsons model on my iPhone.

Problem is that the Edge network is so slow that I couldn't really use it at the store so I wrote another version which I emailed to my iPhone and use it locally. After wrestling with this I have come to the conclusion that we really need local storage space. Mailing things to yourself is not an adequate way to organize your data because you can't even make separate folders in the inbox and you can't just read your existing inbox without the iPhone insisting on checking the mail. (save you go into airplane mode first) but that kills your telephone.

Anyway the grocery application works great and I'm really enjoying the iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    sshssh Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Mailing things to yourself is not an adequate way to organize your data because you can't even make separate folders in the inbox and you can't just read your existing inbox without the iPhone insisting on checking the mail. (save you go into airplane mode first) but that kills your telephone.

Actually, if you are using IMAP, you can have multiple folders and they do all work. That said, I agree with your primary point here of needing storage. I'm hoping it comes with the first update.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    So, you're saying you can email yourself a complete webpage? How do you go about bundling it all up (HTML, .js, .CSS) so it's launchable from your inbox?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    sshssh Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

So, you're saying you can email yourself a complete webpage? How do you go about bundling it all up (HTML, .js, .CSS) so it's launchable from your inbox?

Same way you do for sending an HTML e-mail.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

The CSS you can embed within the html file, but the js apparently gets blocked. You can also embed images as base 64. Oh and it doesn't seem to support named anchors either