which iphone fixes can be done with software upgrades?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I've been using the iPhone since the first day of its release (mostly impressed!) and while I'm ok with using a product that I KNOW will be significantly improved upon in the months ahead, I'm still left to wonder how many of the changes will be "downloaded" onto the phone in later firmware/software revisions, and how many changes will require me to purchase the next generation iPhone...does anyone have any thoughts about the following possible changes and whether they will be hardware or software based?

1. landscape typing in all apps

2. video capture for the camera

3. programmable ringtones

4. multi-function remote on headphones (I know it kinda defeats the purpose of the beautiful multi-touch system, but it would be great if I could do some rudimentary navigating from a headset remote, such as volume, pause, skip song, etc)

5. access to contact names other than by scrolling through the list of names with the same alphabetical beginning, such as by searching, or by creating favorite "groups", etc..,

6. listening to music through stereo bluetooth headset -- I don't even know if they make this yet, but it's my understanding that bluetooth headset on iPhone will not work to play music, only for phone calls...

and FINALLY, I have a suggestion to Apple or one of its accessory makers:

create an iPhone case that can do away with my wallet-- and by that, I don't mean make it so expensive that I need everything in my wallet to buy it, I mean create a case that can hold my iPhone, what little cash I have left after buying the iPhone, a few credit cards, my license, my health insurance card, and my metro card. It would be fairly simple to design-- something like the incase leather folio, but with a place for credit cards, and possibly a belt clip that doubles as a money clip. If I could get away with only one clunky thing in my pocket, I'd be very happy indeed!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AugustWest View Post

I've been using the iPhone since the first day of its release (mostly impressed!) and while I'm ok with using a product that I KNOW will be significantly improved upon in the months ahead, I'm still left to wonder how many of the changes will be "downloaded" onto the phone in later firmware/software revisions, and how many changes will require me to purchase the next generation iPhone...does anyone have any thoughts about the following possible changes and whether they will be hardware or software based?

1. landscape typing in all apps

2. video capture for the camera

3. programmable ringtones

4. multi-function remote on headphones (I know it kinda defeats the purpose of the beautiful multi-touch system, but it would be great if I could do some rudimentary navigating from a headset remote, such as volume, pause, skip song, etc)

5. access to contact names other than by scrolling through the list of names with the same alphabetical beginning, such as by searching, or by creating favorite "groups", etc..,

6. listening to music through stereo bluetooth headset -- I don't even know if they make this yet, but it's my understanding that bluetooth headset on iPhone will not work to play music, only for phone calls...

and FINALLY, I have a suggestion to Apple or one of its accessory makers:

create an iPhone case that can do away with my wallet-- and by that, I don't mean make it so expensive that I need everything in my wallet to buy it, I mean create a case that can hold my iPhone, what little cash I have left after buying the iPhone, a few credit cards, my license, my health insurance card, and my metro card. It would be fairly simple to design-- something like the incase leather folio, but with a place for credit cards, and possibly a belt clip that doubles as a money clip. If I could get away with only one clunky thing in my pocket, I'd be very happy indeed!

Some of these already exist

4) - the switch on the mic of the earbud will pause/resume if you click once and will skip to the next song if you click twice

5) - Groups from your address book are already accessible so that you can have more limited/focussed subsets of your contact.