How to creat a default dock

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I used to be able to customize a dock and then copy that dock using this command (no quotes) "sudo cp ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/default.plist "

Any user who logged in either using active directory or a local account would then get the customize dock. With the new 10.4.10 update, I can no longer do this. Does anyone know how to make a default dock for everyone to have using 10.4.10? Or do you know what got broken and how to fix it? I work at a school and having this custom dock is a life saver.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by helpd View Post

I used to be able to customize a dock and then copy that dock using this command (no quotes) "sudo cp ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/default.plist "

Any user who logged in either using active directory or a local account would then get the customize dock. With the new 10.4.10 update, I can no longer do this. Does anyone know how to make a default dock for everyone to have using 10.4.10? Or do you know what got broken and how to fix it? I work at a school and having this custom dock is a life saver.

Thanks

Do you mean that you can no longer copy the file or do you mean you no longer get the customized Dock? If they updated the Dock.app in the update then it will have replaced the file so you should just need to reapply the custom Dock.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    helpdhelpd Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Do you mean that you can no longer copy the file or do you mean you no longer get the customized Dock? If they updated the Dock.app in the update then it will have replaced the file so you should just need to reapply the custom Dock.

We no longer get the customized dock. Reapplying the custom dock using the sudo command does not work. We need to know how to make a customized dock for 10.4.10. Is there another way? Is there a way to make the sudo command work again? There are potentially 100's of people who could log onto a computer and we need to make the dock the same for anyone who logs in. Thanks