How to install UnRar for OSX

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have just recently downloaded UnRar 3.1.1.b4 for OSX, and I have been having troulbe installing it. Does anybody know how to install it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I found the UNrar for Mac OS X with a GUI. get <a href="http://www.neo-modus.com/DirectConnect.dmg.sit"; target="_blank">Direct Connect</a> and then connect up to macfansnaime.dyndns.org:1090. I'm in there mostm of the time as it is my hub. I'm PiBO2k3. Its under Mac OS Apps/Games. ^_^

[ 02-03-2003: Message edited by: Proud iBook Owner 2k2 ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I am trying to connect to your hub, but for some reason I am unable to. I just get taken to a diconnected hub window every time I try. I tried both with and without the numbers at teh end of the hub name. Is there a website that you got it from? And I also think that the version of UnRar that I have has a GUI, but I have been unable to install it. The readme text says to use a terminal window which has somethign to do with Unix, but I have no idea how to work that. I am just trying to put some rar files together, so whatever will allow me to do that would be great. Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    123123 Posts: 278member
    [quote]Originally posted by rockets19:

<strong>I am trying to connect to your hub, but for some reason I am unable to. I just get taken to a diconnected hub window every time I try. I tried both with and without the numbers at teh end of the hub name. Is there a website that you got it from? And I also think that the version of UnRar that I have has a GUI, but I have been unable to install it. The readme text says to use a terminal window which has somethign to do with Unix, but I have no idea how to work that. I am just trying to put some rar files together, so whatever will allow me to do that would be great. Thanks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think you have unrar, and that doesn't have a gui frontend. if you have some basic terminal knowledge, open terminal and copy the unrar binary to /usr/bin/unrar (type: "sudo cp "drag_the_file_called_unrar_into_the_terminal" /usr/bin/" and press return. type the things between the "" exactly as they are (whitespaces)). Open a new terminal window (or type rehash) and you'll be able to use it, just type unrar for help. The easiest way to use it: cd to the directory that contains all the rar files (type: "cd " then drag the folder conatining the files into the terminal window and hit enter), then type: "unrar e *.rar" and press enter, wait until it's done. The extracted file will be written to the same directory. Delete the .r files.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I guess then what I want is the UnRar with a GUI. Where can I get it? I assume that it is free as well. I don't have any knowledge of Unix or terminals or anything. I appreciate the help.