Question about Mac Pro Fan RPM Speed.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

I'm not gonna bore you with the details. I had overheating problems while gaming on my Mac Pro with the X1900XT. I downloaded smcFanControl, and when I crank up the fans to 1500rpm, the problem is solved.

My question. Will cranking up the fans to that speed for approximetely 10 hours over the next couple weeks damage the fans?

I don't game much anymore, but my cousins are visiting, and one of them likes to play deathmatches with me in Call of Duty 2. When we play, I crank up the fans, and for the duration of their visit, i'm guessing they'll be another 10 hours of playing or so...

After that there won't be nearly as much.

But anyways.. the program works great. The fans speed up and are really loud, and the computer gets really cool. Is it damaging anything???

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,435moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thehellgate911 View Post

I downloaded smcFanControl, and when I crank up the fans to 1500rpm, the problem is solved.

My question. Will cranking up the fans to that speed for approximetely 10 hours over the next couple weeks damage the fans?

That's not that high for a set of fans so it should be fine. Fans are just motors so running fans at a fast speed is no more damaging that say driving your car faster. It will cause more wear but over a long timeframe.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

That's not that high for a set of fans so it should be fine. Fans are just motors so running fans at a fast speed is no more damaging that say driving your car faster. It will cause more wear but over a long timeframe.

Wow.. great! Thanks! I was expecting a much more negative response. That's all I wanted to know.