Is Apple going to buy Adobe?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I think it would make a great asset for Apple. What do you think Should they do it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mystic View Post

I think it would make a great asset for Apple. What do you think Should they do it?

No, it would be too much of a hassle. From my experience, it runs more like an app designed for windows (uninstallers, putting program files all over the place), and they would need to change much of that to give it a nice 'apple' look to it. Does not make much sense at this point.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mystic View Post

I guess my question is why would Apple need to buy Adobe?

With Core Image in Tiger, developers can easily incorporate many "Photoshop" effects into their programs. Apple has video apps, photo managing apps, and pdf funtionality built into the OS.

It's no wonder that the CEO of Adobe reportedly said, "We are in it for the kids," when asked about Adobe's relationship with Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cygnusrk727 View Post

It's no wonder that the CEO of Adobe reportedly said, "We are in it for the kids," when asked about Adobe's relationship with Apple.

"Q: Your relationship with Apple seems like a symbiotic and antagonistic relationship at the same time. Can you describe what that relationship's like right now?

A: Adobe's relationship with Apple is like a marriage where you're in it for the kids. Except in this case, the kids are never going to grow up.

It's taken a long time to figure it out. We have customers that we both care about, and they're the same customers. We both know we have to do what's right by them, the same way that people know you have to do this in the best interest of their children.

Because of that, we work very closely together in lots of ways. We were the first to introduce software for OS X. There are areas in which we compete ferociously. Video is the best example of that."

He doesn't mean only kids use Macs but in the sense that a married couple might stay together for the kids in this case symbolizing their common customer base for which they are in direct competition:

Final Cut vs Premiere

Shake & Motion vs After Effects

Aperture vs Lightroom

some sound apps too now

If anything, I could see Adobe and Apple going separate ways and if so, that would be a big loss to Apple. If they bought over Adobe then the competing products would have to stop so Premiere would be replaced by FCP and I'm sure there would be no Windows version. I just don't see it happening.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

He doesn't mean only kids use Macs but in the sense that a married couple might stay together for the kids in this case symbolizing their common customer base for which they are in direct competition:

If anything, I could see Adobe and Apple going separate ways and if so, that would be a big loss to Apple. If they bought over Adobe then the competing products would have to stop so Premiere would be replaced by FCP and I'm sure there would be no Windows version. I just don't see it happening.

Thanks for the exact quote. I assumed "in it for the kids" would be an obvious analogy and not taken literally.

I totally agree that Apple and Adobe are more likely to seperate even further. Apple is pressing its advantage as a resurging tech giant. I think Adobe bringing back Premiere is an example of Adobe realizing they only hurt themselves by leaving the Mac Market.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Microsoft and Adobe are starting to compete more too, especially in their bread and butter technologies like PDF (XPS), Flash on the web (Silverlight), and Adobe CS (Expression Studio).

So while Apple is denting Adobe on the fringe markets, MS is going for the jugular. So it would be wise for Adobe to get cozier with Apple and start treating their Mac user-base with more respect than they have in the recent past, like second class citizens. I can picture all the IT managers salivating at the chance to buy all their software site licensing from MS at a steep discount instead of getting multiple site licenses from Adobe, MS, and others.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Yeah they should buy them.... Jobs would drop all Windows version of Adobe software except for Adobe Acrobat...