complete apple novice needs help

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hi just got a second hand g3 lombard bronze keyboard

have installed a new harddrive (60 gig )

and loaded OS 8.6 from the recovery cd

i have 2 issues

prob both related the main battery appears dead no lights and OS says no battery installed

any advise on how to re energize ??

second when laptop unplugged from mains time and date lose there settings

also what is the latest OS that this laptop can run (and where can i get a copy )

it has 380 meg of physical memory installed

and as i an a complete apple novice pleae be gentle

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Gentle? We are going to eat you alive in this forum!

If it is an original battery, it will not reenergize. It is dead, you need a new one. The fact that your date, time etc are gone is part of the dead battery problem.

The ram issue is really weird on those. Apple claims that 384 is the max and there are plenty of people who put in two 256 chips and got the full 512. You milage may vary, but more is better.

Apple also claims that Panther 10.3.9 is the max system for that machine. Again, people have hacked it to run Tiger, but Panther install disks are much cheaper to come by. Make sure you get black disks, the gray 10.3 disks are OEM specific to the machine they were sold with and will not work on yours. Reformat and get rid of 8.6.

Good luck!
  • Reply 2 of 6
    lol

sometimes you eat the dog sometimes the dog eats you

ok so how much do you think a copy of " panther " will cost ??

is has a 128meg chip in the bottom slot and a 256 chip in the upper slot
  • Reply 3 of 6
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post

Make sure you get black disks, the gray 10.3 disks are OEM specific to the machine they were sold with and will not work on yours.

The OEM's will work, but they are simply intended for a certain machine. I've used eMac 10.3's on a PowerMac G5, PowerBook discs on an iMac G4, yadda yadda. Only the Intel OEM's are coded for that model alone.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

The OEM's will work, but they are simply intended for a certain machine. I've used eMac 10.3's on a PowerMac G5, PowerBook discs on an iMac G4, yadda yadda. Only the Intel OEM's are coded for that model alone.

can anyone advise if i can use these disks to install X OS onto my powerbook thanks

-iMac, Mac OS X V10.2 Jaguar Install Disks- Two CDs;

Mac OS X v10.2 Jaguar -Install Disk 1 (Bootable) ""(CD Version 1.0 2Z691-4024-A)"".

Mac OS X v10.2 Jaguar -Install Disk 2""(CD Version 1.0 2Z691-4025-A)"".
  • Reply 5 of 6
    regreg Posts: 832member
    The Lombard came in 2 types, 333 Mhz with a cd rom drive or the 400 Mhz with a DVD drive. EveryMac.com can give you all the info about different macs. 10.3 came in either CD or DVD so you will need to know what you have before you check ebay. The 2 disks you have are most likely machine specific (iMac) and will not install on your machine. You can try to install them, the system will stop you if it is for a diferent type on machine.

The power problem could be either your power card or your battery. A good site to check out problems is ifixit. The prices for their replacement parts are reasonable. The site will also walk you through doing upgrades and maintenance, so you might want to bookmark it. The replacement power card is cheap, the battery isn't.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reg View Post

You can try to install them, the system will stop you if it is for a diferent type on machine.

No, it won't. I do it all the time. For PowerPC machines, it works fine. Intels are the only machines that enforce the model-specific restore discs.