Macbook vs Macbook Pro for Engineering Major

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
New to the forums here. I'm about to buy a Mac here pretty soon before school starts, but I'm having a hard time deciding between the MB and the MBP. I am an engineering student and will be using the computer mostly for writing papers, listening to music, surfing the net, playing movies, some light audio and video editing for personal use, and maybe light gaming, although, gaming is a huge maybe. I really like the size of the MB and actually think I might prefer the size in lieu of power, but I am concerned about it being able to handle CAD programs. My current PC laptop is a 15" and I really don't like carrying it around. It's just cumbersome to lug around campus all day. Just looking for some suggestions. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by raw10628 View Post

New to the forums here. I'm about to buy a Mac here pretty soon before school starts, but I'm having a hard time deciding between the MB and the MBP. I am an engineering student and will be using the computer mostly for writing papers, listening to music, surfing the net, playing movies, some light audio and video editing for personal use, and maybe light gaming, although, gaming is a huge maybe. I really like the size of the MB and actually think I might prefer the size in lieu of power, but I am concerned about it being able to handle CAD programs. My current PC laptop is a 15" and I really don't like carrying it around. It's just cumbersome to lug around campus all day. Just looking for some suggestions. Thanks.

I think the regular macbook will suit your needs, but I would wait as long as possible to see if that ultra-portable rumor plays out in time. That would give you both the smaller size and (hopefully) be in the MBP line so it would have more power.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    There's CAD work and then there's CAD work.

How complicated models are we talking about? What apps?

The Macbook has godawful graphics, that's the sticking point. Games won't run unless they're old, strategy/RTS etc. Even World of Warcraft doesn't run well, and it's from 2004! I hear booting to Windows gives you slightly more speed and it definitely gives you lots of choice in titles.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    How about this option; a refurbished MBP.

Apple have 2.16 ghz core 2 MBP refurbs for $1499. They come with 1 gb of RAM. Add another and you'll be set.

This is the machine that I have and it is exceptional. I don't think you would be disappointed.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    I would hope for a MB refresh with a GMA X3100 although that's not likely before school starts. A refurb MBP is one way to go although with an edu discount the 15" 2.2Ghz is only $1799 and comes with 2GB and a better vid card which means a longer usable life. I would get AppleCare though with either one when you can.

Since you already have a laptop...you can afford to wait until the MB update to GMA X3100. The X3100 should be able to handle anything but moderate to serious gaming (ie light gaming like WoW is no issue).

Folks have said they run Pro/Engineer and Autocad Inventor just fine on the CD 1.83 MB with GMA950. But I personally wouldn't get a current MB if I knew I wanted to do CAD work.

Vinea
  • Reply 5 of 7
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

with an edu discount the 15" 2.2Ghz is only $1799 and comes with 2GB and a better vid card which means a longer usable life. I would get AppleCare though with either one when you can.

Vinea

I didn't think of that. Hell that's the ticket IMO.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

The X3100 should be able to handle anything but moderate to serious gaming (ie light gaming like WoW is no issue).

Disagree. On the scale of light-moderate-serious gaming, I think the expectation to be able to simply run and play a game from two years back is "light". The X3100 doesn't fare too well with that. It doesn't even come close to handling two year old games with all effects off, Macbook resolution and bearable framerates for single player gaming.

The Windows driver performance and release schedule projects the appearance that the Intel graphics division has allocated their budget on booze and women. Which is admirable, but doesn't make me want to give them money. They're shipping little more than a programmable GMA 950 and promising lots and lots of improvement in drivers later, around 2008.. 2009.. someday. When Windows users get shafted on graphics drivers, that does not bode well for the Mac.

When you play other people, the reasonable minimum goes up. I played WoW on an iBook, and normal content was agonizing. With the GMA 950 you are still effectively barred from a lot of normal content and when playing against other players even in good conditions you are significantly handicapped. Just my guess, but the X3100 will still handicap you at battlegrounds and raids.

All things considered, it's a good idea to either go in with no expectations about gaming or get something with dedicated graphics. Like that refurb MBP.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by raw10628 View Post

There's a very low chance that you'll be running CAD apps on your laptop. Instead, you'l probably use the clusters that have the expensive CAD software already loaded on them. If you're an EE, then you don't even need CAD so much, and it doesn't really matter what computer you get. All you're going to use it for is checking the web, writing some papers, writing some code, maybe a few other things. The MBP has a bigger screen, which is a plus, but otherwise it's not going to matter. Both of them are fine for compiling code. Both are fine for writing papers and surfing the web. The only major program that you might end up running on it is Matlab, but even that is mostly RAM bound. Plus, you're probably going to be running that on the clusters too.