iPhone impressions from a wireless industry insider

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I love my iPhone. That is saying a lot from me. I have been in the wireless handset industry for almost 20 years and have played with tons of phones way before they were ever available (and in many cases never made available) to the general public. I like finding bugs and although there have been a few I am amazed how solid this device is for all of the technology built into it. While working at some of the top manufacturers in the world I know for a fact that handsets hit the market with known bugs all the time. We had tons of phones go out with a lot flakier software on phones that were very basic devices and compared to the iPhone could have easily had rotary dials. LOL

The biggest gripes I have is probably included in a soon to be released update.

Why can't you manage calendar requests you receive in mail?!!

Why is there no iChat?!!

Why can't you capture video?

Why can't you send pics and vids via MMS?!!

And lastly but likely a system issue, why can I no longer receive text alerts for fire calls that I used to get on Verizon? My volunteer fire department has it set up so members can receive sms alerts so they don't have to have a pager on them at all times. (Damn things are huge). Ever since I switched to AT&T I no longer get them.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GreggWSmith View Post

And lastly but likely a system issue, why can I no longer receive text alerts for fire calls that I used to get on Verizon? My volunteer fire department has it set up so members can receive sms alerts so they don't have to have a pager on them at all times. (Damn things are huge). Ever since I switched to AT&T I no longer get them.

Have you asked the people who send the SMS to verify your new address? Even if you moved your phone number, I believe that SMS messages go out with domain names (for example [email protected] just made this up, not likely the proper format). They are likely still sending them to whatever format your Verizon address looks like.