Xserve RAID question

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi guys, I'm hoping somebody here might be able to help me. I'm eyeing-up an Xserve/Xserve RAID combo for a client.

Do you happen to know if the basic Xserve RAID that has four HDDs still comes with 14 ADMs, or do you only get the four ADMs. I'm interested in buying the basic version and slotting drives in as required and I need to know if I should budget for more ADM modules...

Cheers!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    o4blackwrxo4blackwrx Posts: 383member
    They only put blanks in where there are no HD's. You will have to get the entire module plus had drive if you wish to add more.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I thought that might be the case.

So you're forced to buy additional storage at Apple's 'special' price then?

Suddenly the Xserve RAID isn't looking like such a good investment ? and more like a £4,200 Jaz Drive.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    So would I be right in saying that if I've got a studio of say seven users, who require centralised storage, I'd be just as well getting a Mac Pro and whacking in four 750GB drives?

Is there any limit to the number of simultaneous logins on Mac OS X Tiger (client)?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    I think I read somewhere it's 5 logins for regular Mac OS X Client, same as the $499 version of Server that is 5 client option.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    Sorry, I meant to mean 10 user for both Client and Server (10-client) versions, but I can't be sure I know I read it somewhere though.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    I think the Promise RAID enclosures allow you to use regular drives.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    It depends on how crucial the data is. Obviously the RAID Array is going to give you better protection and redundancy over the Mac Pro. Also you could create a 'file share' to the Mac Pro, have all the users log in and mount the AFP volume. If you need more information please feel free to ask. Without knowing your specific application I do not want to recommend one solution over another. Also do not forget you will need at least 1 XServe to control the RAID (you really should have 2) to be metadata controllers of the RAID array. So if you want to provide more details I would be glad to help with what limited knowledge I may have. I have a 3.5TB RAID with 2 XServe's controlling it, XSAN, & fibre channel network. Totally separate from my internal network in which we use an XServe as our working 'file share'.