Upgrading from G4 iBook to.... a MacBook or a MacBook Pro? Advice needed.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi all, long time lurker - first time poster

I've had my G4 iBook for almost four years now and am looking to finally upgrade. My options at the moment are:

a refurbished

1.) 15.4" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.0ghz, 512 MB RAM, 80GB, 4x SuperDrive for $1299

2.) 13.3" Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz, 1 GB RAM, 80GB, 6x SuperDrive for $999

OR

a new

3.) 13.3" Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.16ghz, 1 GB RAM, 120GB, 8x SuperDrive for $1199

How do the two/three laptops compare performance-wise? I've heard the Core 2 Duo Macbook will outperform the MacBook Pro Core Duo? Atm, I'm leaning towards the Pro for the larger screen but I'm worried I'm paying more for a machine that is inferior to the Core 2 Duo MacBook...

Thoughts? Advice (from someone who's had to make a similar decision)? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muffinman View Post

Hi all, long time lurker - first time poster

I've had my G4 iBook for almost four years now and am looking to finally upgrade. My options at the moment are:

a refurbished

1.) 15.4" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.0ghz, 512 MB RAM, 80GB, 4x SuperDrive for $1299

2.) 13.3" Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz, 1 GB RAM, 80GB, 6x SuperDrive for $999

OR

a new

3.) 13.3" Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.16ghz, 1 GB RAM, 120GB, 8x SuperDrive for $1199

How do the two/three laptops compare performance-wise? I've heard the Core 2 Duo Macbook will outperform the MacBook Pro Core Duo? Atm, I'm leaning towards the Pro for the larger screen but I'm worried I'm paying more for a machine that is inferior to the Core 2 Duo MacBook...

Thoughts? Advice (from someone who's had to make a similar decision)? Thanks in advance

I have had all the machines you have listed including your current machine, the ibook G4.

I currently use a MPB 2.4 with 4 gigs of ram. I tell you this because I can honestly say that the MB I have is not scarred one bit. Sometimes they stare each other down and go after it . In my opinion, its probably one of the best machines Apple has put out at its price point. I used it for work and never once did it hiccup. In fact, I have had more issues with my MBP.

I would suggest spending the extra $$ and getting 2 gigs of ram. You will not regret it one bit. Makes all the difference in the world.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    trailmaster - Thanks for the quick answer, just the kind of feedback I was looking for.

My main concern about the MBP was that it's battery life would be hindered by the larger screen / backlit keyboard, etc. but this doesn't seem to be the case as people claim similar battery life for both the MB and the MBP - anything you can add based on your experience?

Also, I'm not much of a gamer but would like to play a game now and then (StarCraft 2?) - will the Core 2 Duo processor, additional RAM be enough for the MB to run them decently?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muffinman View Post

trailmaster - Thanks for the quick answer, just the kind of feedback I was looking for.

My main concern about the MBP was that it's battery life would be hindered by the larger screen / backlit keyboard, etc. but this doesn't seem to be the case as people claim similar battery life for both the MB and the MBP - anything you can add based on your experience?

Also, I'm not much of a gamer but would like to play a game now and then (StarCraft 2?) - will the Core 2 Duo processor, additional RAM be enough for the MB to run them decently?

The MB will get better battery life than the Pro. In my experience I get about an hour longer give or take a few minutes.

My wife has taken possession of the MB and runs it for hours on end for blogging and such tasks. Battery life for her is a big concern and I have not had any complaints from her.

As far as gaming, I played WoW a few times on the MB, but if you enjoy having all the gfx's turned up and music playing I would suggest getting the pro.

The Pro machine plays games much better than the MB. There is no comparison.

As far as Starcraft II goes, its not out yet, so I can't speak to its ability on the MB. I will say that you will get much better performace on the Pro edition given that it has a dedicated GFX card. Plus, I imagine with Starcraft II being a new game, it will require a decent video card to run it. But who knows.