Help! PC builder wants to turn Mac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
It's my first post, HUZZAH!

At work I have a nice PowerMac full of ram which works fine, but at home I have a home-brew cheap PC e6400 C2D computer, but I HATE Vista and can't take it anymore.

I mainly do print, some web and no video editing using CS3. I can't seem to talk myself into buying a MacPro for 3400 (especially because I can build a PC for $1900 sans OSX), but looked at waiting for the new iMac or getting the low-end Macbook Pro + 20in monitor. Since I have never used a non-tower Mac before, are the other options even realistic for my needs or should I just suck it up and save more for the MacPro?

Here is the breakdown:

1. MacPro (edu discount)

2.66 Quad

x1900 upgrade

4GB ram-MacSales.com

20in Monitor

Total = $3246

2. Macbook Pro 2.2

160 7200 upgrade

4GB ram MacSales

20in Monitor

Total = 2526

3. 20in iMac

3GB ram MacSales

x1600 upgrade

Total = $1682

I can also take advantage of my wife's edu discount btw. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, let the opinions pour in!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DdubRes79 View Post

It's my first post, HUZZAH!

At work I have a nice PowerMac full of ram which works fine, but at home I have a home-brew cheap PC e6400 C2D computer, but I HATE Vista and can't take it anymore.

I mainly do print, some web and no video editing using CS3. I can't seem to talk myself into buying a MacPro for 3400 (especially because I can build a PC for $1900 sans OSX), but looked at waiting for the new iMac or getting the low-end Macbook Pro + 20in monitor. Since I have never used a non-tower Mac before, are the other options even realistic for my needs or should I just suck it up and save more for the MacPro?

Here is the breakdown:

1. MacPro (edu discount)

2.66 Quad

x1900 upgrade

4GB ram-MacSales.com

20in Monitor

Total = $3246

2. Macbook Pro 2.2

160 7200 upgrade

4GB ram MacSales

20in Monitor

Total = 2526

3. 20in iMac

3GB ram MacSales

x1600 upgrade

Total = $1682

I can also take advantage of my wife's edu discount btw. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, let the opinions pour in!

Wait for the new imacs before making a decision. They should be coming soon.

Then make your decision. I would probably suggest you look at the iMac. It will do everything you need and at a reasonable price. I think I'm going to get an iMac later this year to replace the pc in our kitchen.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    easyceasyc Posts: 69member
    Yeah dido dude. The new iMacs will help you get a better view of whats out there, considering the current iMacs are way outdated.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    ddubres79ddubres79 Posts: 101member
    Thanks, I guess that would be the consensus, after two replies this questions seems DOA! I will patiently await any iMac announcements. thanks!
  • Reply 4 of 6
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Even if you get the least expensive Mac Pro costing you $2,200.00, it's twice as fast as the fastest MacBook Pro not to mention you have the option to expand it. Unless you absolutely need a laptop the Mac Pro is by far the better choice in every aspect.

Mac Pro:

Two 2.0GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 1GB (2 x 512MB)

250GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB (single-link DVI/dual-link DVI)

One 16x SuperDrive

Apple Keyboard and Mighty Mouse - U.S. English

$2,200.00

15" MacBook Pro:

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB

160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm

SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

MacBook Pro 15-inch Widescreen Display

Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English

Accessory Kit

$2,499.00
  • Reply 5 of 6
    There may be a new mac pro coming soon with ECC ram dropping the FB-dimms
  • Reply 6 of 6
    ddubres79ddubres79 Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

There may be a new mac pro coming soon with ECC ram dropping the FB-dimms

This is actually in response two the last two posts, but I had it in my head a MacPro would be overkill for a non-video editor (I don't need 4 HD's and 16GB of ram) but after you broke it down it's actually on par (with a monitor) to the Macbook Pro. I just have to remind myself that compared to a PC workstations it's a heck of a bargain at $2200.

In regards to the updated ECC RAM, video card options etc, I feel like I've been 'on hold' for over 6 months now waiting for updates that never seem to happen. (except the 8-core which I KNOW I don't need). Maybe I just need to stop thinking "I'm paying the same price for last years hardware" and just hit the "checkout" button.