.Mac and Utilities..advice???

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
In the process of switching to iMac 17 from Dell crap, two SW questions:

(1)Good idea to purchase .Mac in order to obtain backup and antivirsus SW as opposed to buying various 3rd party SW such as Norton, MacFee, etc???

(2)Does the iMac 17 include utilities SW or do I need to buy 3rd party such as Disk Warrior???

For PC, have used Norton with overall good results but not sure with Mac

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    1. I believe .Mac's Backup utility will only work on one computer. Apple's .Mac page doesn't specify. I may be wrong, since you have to register each computer individually for iSync & .Mac integration, and each computer can sync.

2. Apple has the old standards, First Aid and Disk Utility. You may want to invest in Norton--though, I have not.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I don't think that Norton would be a wise investment. I've not used it, but I've heard horror stories about it. I say avoid it. In my 3 years of using a mac, I've never had to use a disk utility (other than disk utility) and I've never had a virus. You may not need anything in this regard...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    May want to wait for DiskWarrior for OS X before you get Norton..

P.S. If you're only going for .Mac for utilities and backup space, it's probably not worth the money. One of the utilities is Virex; when's the last time anyone in here got a virus in OS X?

[ 02-07-2003: Message edited by: frawgz ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 5
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    If u already have a good email account or a good domain, U dun really need .Mac.

Virex is practically useless......And backup is nothing special.

But .Mac do allows u some special functions like hompage, which is only worth it if u need it.

Weigh the pros and cons carefully. .mac is expensive.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Personally, I love .mac. I use it all the time. There are some great benefits depending on what you need it for. I use the homepage/publish from iPhoto a lot. I also use the email which has just become immensely more useful since it got addressbook syncing. And an added benefit that I hadn't thought of before was the iSync between computers. I just got a new powerbook and it automatically synced up my addressbook and iCal with my old computer. As for the utilities, I never use them. I haven't even downloaded backup or virex. I guess I'll start using backup since my pb now has an internal burner and I can archive to cd without any trouble. BTW, they have thrown in things for free in the past like 100 free prints. That alone is worth the price of my admission ($49 as an old iTools user). They're also running a rebate now on new machines. $30 off if you buy a new machine and get a .mac account. $69 may be a little much, but if you use the features, it's worth it.

-t

wow, that was one long paragraph....