My friend says I'm crazy to buy a MacBook Pro

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey, this is my first post, sorry it has to be one of 'those' types (PC vs. Apple).

I have been saving for quite some time to buy a laptop and Pro Tools, and I am finally now able to pull the trigger. I was a bit spooked by the issues some of the current MacBook Pros are having, so I haven't made a purchase yet.

When discussing my desire to get the MBP, my friend, who is a PC guy, told me I was crazy to spend that much money on the laptop, when a comparably powerful PC could be attained for much less, leaving money to purchase software (like Pro Tools). I'd always heard the price difference was inflated, but after doing some investigating, it doesn't seem so.

I know there have been many threads on this, but I guess I need some convincing either way. Is it really worth almost $1k just for a more elegant design and OSX / iLife?? Things like a backlit keyboard and magsafe are enticing, but I can't believe anyone would actually think they're worth that much.

Here's what I found:

Dell Inspiron 1720 (17", lower standard resolution than the MBP)

Intel® Core? 2 Duo T7700 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB/4MB cache)

256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT

2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz

160GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)

Integrated 2.0 Megapixel Webcam

Wireless and Bluetooth, CD/DVD writer, etc...

Total: $1,973

It would also be easier to upgrade the hard drive, and there is the option to increase the resolution to 1920x1200, just like the MBP.

The MBP with (as far as I can tell) the exact same specs is $2,799, an $826 premium. And, I have not heard of the same overheating issues on the Dells. Yet, I still want a Mac...! I feel like I'm feverish or something. I think my friend is right...I could spend that $826 on Pro Tools. Anyone care to convince me otherwise?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    He's right. You'd be crazy... LIKE A FOX!

I have not heard from one single ex-PC user that regrets buying a Mac (or who wants to go back to a PC) of some variety. The only issues were some of the people who bought the Mac minis wish they had bought a faster, more powerful Mac.

I guarantee you are going to get a whole new outlook on computing once you take the plunge into OSX. The cost difference is negligible and you'll wonder why the heck you didn't do it sooner.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    elronelron Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

He's right. You'd be crazy... LIKE A FOX!

I have not heard from one single ex-PC user that regrets buying a Mac (or who wants to go back to a PC) of some variety. The only issues were some of the people who bought the Mac minis wish they had bought a faster, more powerful Mac.

I guarantee you are going to get a whole new outlook on computing once you take the plunge into OSX. The cost difference is negligible and you'll wonder why the heck you didn't do it sooner.

I wouldn't call $826 negligible... I've seen price comparisons that put Macs much closer than that, but there's no doubt that you pay a premium for an Apple. Unfortunately, the only person who can really judge if it's worth the price is you. The Apple vs. PC argument is an old and bitter one and everyone who cares has already taken a side. You won't find many unbiased discussions on the topic, but I'm sure you know this.

To me, the fact that you posted on an Apple discussion board means that you're already leaning towards getting an Apple. Unless you really can't afford to spend the extra money, my advice is to just take the plunge. There's a reason Macs have such a devoted following even in the face of historically large price disparities when compared similarly-specced PCs. The fit and finish is worth the extra money to some people. Maybe you're one of them, maybe you're not. Regardless, I almost guarantee you'll be happy with the computer. Next time you see your PC-using friend, try not to laugh as he fumbles around with his postage-stamp-and-a-half sized trackpad.

By the way, I wouldn't worry too much about the MBP's "issues". PC laptops have plenty of issues of their own but for some reason you don't hear about them as much. I've dealt with or heard about plenty of hardware problems with the ThinkPads at work to know that Apple isn't the only company that struggles with QA. According to this article, Apple's customer service is ranked higher than any other computer maker, so that may help you breathe a little easier.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    The Dell can run Sonar, Sound Forge, Fruity Loops, Adobe Audition, Cubase SX, Nuendo, and Pro Tools.

The Mac can run all that (via bootcamp or natively) and Logic, GarageBand, Digital Performer, Peak and Soundtrack Pro.

(List may be out of date but you get the idea).

Personally I'd get the 15" MBP and a monitor and not the 17". I have the 17" and the extra real-estate when mobile doesn't always offset the annoyances of a laptop that doesn't FIT into anything.

The MBP is very quiet compared to my Dell. That may or may not be important for you. Are the new Insiprons still plastic? Nice colors. I like the red. Of course the aluminum is a nicer material but eh...not $800 nicer. As a whole system? I'd say that the 15" Dell at $400 less is not as good as the 15" MBP. $800 is iffy.

If its for professional use I'd get the MBP. If for school, then I'd get the Dell. If you're only ever going to use pro tools then get the Dell.

Vinea
  • Reply 4 of 20
    jtusjtus Posts: 18member
    I switched from a PC to a Mabook Pro 15 and would never go back.

The mac blows any PC away.

I have software that has to run on a pc and I use Parrallels and Xp. It works with no issues and is more stable then on my desktop dell pc at work.

Did your friend also tel you how many batteries you need to buy for the dell to equil the battery life of the Mac? No pc I have ever had, had a battery hold up as long as my Mac.

GET THE MAC AND YOU WILL BE HAPPY.

I bought 2 macbooks for my wife daughter. And I bought my first macbook Pro the day they came out It still works great. I sold it to a friend and bought the latest verission and it work great also but faster.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lewis Hollow View Post

Hey, this is my first post, sorry it has to be one of 'those' types (PC vs. Apple).

I have been saving for quite some time to buy a laptop and Pro Tools, and I am finally now able to pull the trigger. I was a bit spooked by the issues some of the current MacBook Pros are having, so I haven't made a purchase yet.

When discussing my desire to get the MBP, my friend, who is a PC guy, told me I was crazy to spend that much money on the laptop, when a comparably powerful PC could be attained for much less, leaving money to purchase software (like Pro Tools). I'd always heard the price difference was inflated, but after doing some investigating, it doesn't seem so.

I know there have been many threads on this, but I guess I need some convincing either way. Is it really worth almost $1k just for a more elegant design and OSX / iLife?? Things like a backlit keyboard and magsafe are enticing, but I can't believe anyone would actually think they're worth that much.

Here's what I found:

Dell Inspiron 1720 (17", lower standard resolution than the MBP)

Intel® Core? 2 Duo T7700 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB/4MB cache)

256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT

2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz

160GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)

Integrated 2.0 Megapixel Webcam

Wireless and Bluetooth, CD/DVD writer, etc...

Total: $1,973

It would also be easier to upgrade the hard drive, and there is the option to increase the resolution to 1920x1200, just like the MBP.

The MBP with (as far as I can tell) the exact same specs is $2,799, an $826 premium. And, I have not heard of the same overheating issues on the Dells. Yet, I still want a Mac...! I feel like I'm feverish or something. I think my friend is right...I could spend that $826 on Pro Tools. Anyone care to convince me otherwise?

• Reply 5 of 20
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    Are you getting a Titanium finish? are you getting illuminated keys, and the magsafe power adapter is cool, even though it may only happen once or twice. I think the airport card will be more reliable than a dell. Due to limited hard drive space on laptops in general that Firewire 800 port would be really handy. iSight Camera is cool too. And I think you get a Apple remote. The last thing is the case though, PC are usually just cheaper in design and crack and chip. Oh well get what you want. I would get ...
  • Reply 6 of 20
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Starting weight of 7.62 lbs

That's hefty!

Also, I came up with $2,111 when I ran those specs.

Also, MAN does the dell website suck.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    It seems that the O/P has forgotten, like many people, to compare two key points: size and weight. This is, after all, a laptop purchase you are considering.

The Dell is 267.375 cubic inches, and weighs at least 7.62 lbs. The MacBook Pro is 160.16 cubic inches (yes, 40% smaller than the Dell!) and weighs 6.8 lbs.

Also, the Dell has VGA video-out only, the MacBook Pro has dual-link DVI. The Dell has an unpowered FireWire 400 port, the MacBook Pro has powered FireWire 400 and 800 ports. The MacBook Pro has a backlit keyboard, the Dell doesn't. The MacBook Pro has analogue and digital optical audio in and out, the Dell has analogue only. The MacBook Pro's battery is 68 Watt-hours, the Dell's is 56 Watt-hours (so the Mac will have better battery life even before considering OS X's superior battery management). You can get a bigger battery (85 Watt-hour) for the Dell, but that will add weight to an already ridiculously heavy machine.

It looks like the standard resolution of the Dell screen is 1440 x 900 - why bother with a 17" screen in that case? You can get 15" laptops with the same resolution. It also looks like if you want higher resolution, your only choice is a glossy finish, which you don't want for pro usage.

There's a reason the MacBook Pro is $800 more, and that's because it's a significantly better laptop.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    After 20 some years of owning and using numerous PC's, I bought a Mac five years ago. Now, my 2 PC's are gathering dust.

If you were trying to decide between a $25,000 VW and a $65,000 Mercedes Benz and you could afford either one, which one would you choose? If a friend told you you were crazy to buy the M-Benz because you could buy many DVD's with the difference if you bought a VW, which one would you choose? I know this is an exaggeration, but it's the way I feel about PC's and Mac's. I have to use PC's at work and find myself cursing them.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    jrollerjroller Posts: 80member
    Lewis,

You have already received a great response to your question from Apple zealots and switchers alike. There is not much I can add to it. Of course, the response you get on an Apple board is understandable. I'm sure the response would be equally skewed on a Dell-oriented board.

In the end, only you (not your friend) can make that call. As you can tell from my signature, I work with switchers and non-mac users on an almost daily basis. 99 out of 100 students who walk through my door at the beginning of the school year have little to no experience with a Mac. They are often confused and a bit frustrated at first by the different environment presented by OS X. By the second semester, however, I always get comments from many of them that for their next/first computer they want a Mac. I tell you this because you need to be prepared for a transitional period at first that is both frustrating and wonderful at times. It will make you suspect your friend was right at times and other times you will laugh at the notion of what he said.

In the end, however, you will likely be right here posting in response to someone with a similar question the very things the switchers above have related to you. And then you will understand why you were right to get a Mac.

Welcome to the Mac.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    aryayusharyayush Posts: 191member
    The guy's most probably already bought a Dell craptop. With friends like his, the poor guy did not have much of a chance.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jroller View Post

Lewis,

You have already received a great response to your question from Apple zealots and switchers alike. There is not much I can add to it. Of course, the response you get on an Apple board is understandable. I'm sure the response would be equally skewed on a Dell-oriented board.

The difference is, you're not going to find Mac users switching to a Dell.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aryayush View Post

The guy's most probably already bought a Dell craptop. With friends like his, the poor guy did not have much of a chance.

Maybe. Useless posts don't really help, though.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Thanks everyone for the great responses, some illuminating points have been made. I'm going to forward this to my friend, I'm interested to hear his reaction. I'll hopefully have a decision made in the next few weeks...
  • Reply 14 of 20
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The difference is, you're not going to find Mac users switching to a Dell.

That's just because they're ashamed. A Mac is a sign of wealth, everybody can afford a Dell so it's not so much a 'yay world, I got a Dell' as 'honey, I've got the groceries and I picked up a Dell'. I suspect there will be a few Mac users who have switched to Dells but we'll never hear from them.

Is it just me though or have Dell reduced their prices recently because I distinctly remember comparing more than one model of Dell vs the new MBPs about a month or so ago and Dell's models were actually more expensive.

I would also say that $800 is a bit high between the two. The 15" difference is better at around $400-500 or something. Again, not sure really why anyone would buy a 17" laptop. Nonetheless, I think Apple should aim to get all their products around $400 at most more than the competition as I'd say that's a reasonable premium to pay for what you get.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Is it just me though or have Dell reduced their prices recently because I distinctly remember comparing more than one model of Dell vs the new MBPs about a month or so ago and Dell's models were actually more expensive.

Dell's prices are constantly fluctuating. I bought a 20" widescreen from them a few weeks ago, and a few days after I'd bought it, the price went up almost £100.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I would also say that $800 is a bit high between the two. The 15" difference is better at around $400-500 or something. Again, not sure really why anyone would buy a 17" laptop. Nonetheless, I think Apple should aim to get all their products around $400 at most more than the competition as I'd say that's a reasonable premium to pay for what you get.

But this is not a comparison of like with like. Apple doesn't make a direct equivalent to this Dell (it'd be a 17" MacBook non-pro, and even then the Apple would have advanced features (optical audio, DVI out) that the Dell lacks), and Dell don't make an equivalent to the MacBook Pro - hello - read my earlier post again and hopefully it will be obvious to you that the two machines are in totally different classes.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    The main thing I hate about my MacBook Pro vs. my ASUS is that it can't game very well. Even with bootcamp and all the right settings, it lacks a good quality graphics card. I do like the Mac's for their look and style and for their basic functions, but I also love my Windows based laptop for the work I do daily in 3Ds Max and AutoCAD applications.

If your going to use only one program in a Mac I am sure there are 5 others like it for PC. If you see yourself making use of more than one program on a Mac than it can be worth it. If you have the cash, than go for style and functionality. If you don't than go for what you can afford as I am sure you will be happy with either or. I know I am happy with both my Mac & windows based products.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    feartecfeartec Posts: 119member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

After 20 some years of owning and using numerous PC's, I bought a Mac five years ago. Now, my 2 PC's are gathering dust.

If you were trying to decide between a $25,000 VW and a $65,000 Mercedes Benz and you could afford either one, which one would you choose? If a friend told you you were crazy to buy the M-Benz because you could buy many DVD's with the difference if you bought a VW, which one would you choose? I know this is an exaggeration, but it's the way I feel about PC's and Mac's. I have to use PC's at work and find myself cursing them.

Gotta say, I would rather walk than buy either. VW's shift like they were made by PC's and new Mercedes are so over-priced, it puts their logic up there with the Iraq war and frozen yogurt(It can't be both!!!!).
  • Reply 18 of 20
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feartec View Post

Gotta say, I would rather walk than buy either. VW's shift like they were made by PC's and new Mercedes are so over-priced, it puts their logic up there with the Iraq war and frozen yogurt(It can't be both!!!!).

Can't say I blame you. The only VW I've owned was an old stick shift beetle when they sold for $1600. All I could afford then.

As for the Mercedes, they are overpriced. I was just making an analogy that I THOUGHT most people would understand. However, I do drive an overpriced Acura. Great car, but too expensive.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    easyceasyc Posts: 69member
    Dude I made the switch to Mac a month ago and I dont think Ill ever go back to a PC. Many things have been said but Ill always say one thing, you can fight over a PC and a Mac all day but it comes down do a Mac just works. Nowhere else can you find a machine where hardware and software run amazing together. We do/will give biased advice since this is a make forum but heres the thing. See what you really will be using the laptop for and maybe go for a low end Macbook to try out the mac experience. If your not happy the resale value will be up there you wont lose out to much and you can go back to getting a Dell. Choices in life arent always between good and bad, they're between good and better, and Mac is the better choice.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    There is no "Apple tax" here. The machines are not comparable.

Lighter and thinner costs a LOT of money to make. Lighter and thinner AND with digital optical audio, FireWire 400 AND 800, dual-layer DVD-R, higher res display, backlit keyboard automatically controlled, remote control, automatic screen brightness, and ability to run all 3 major operating systems is definitely worth whatever price difference there is.