Best browser

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have noticed safari doesnt work very well on alot of sites what is the best browser for the mac the supports all of the latest web standards.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Safari is the best browser on the Mac and I challenge you to post the sites it supposedly doesn't work well on. If anything, I would bet you that they have nothing to do with 'web standards' but some ActiveX control that is only supported on IE, or a poorly made web page optimized for IE.

However, you can try Firefox, Camino, or Opera. Whatever, it's all the same.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Safari is the best browser on the Mac and I challenge you to post the sites it supposedly doesn't work well on. If anything, I would bet you that they have nothing to do with 'web standards' but some ActiveX control that is only supported on IE, or a poorly made web page optimized for IE.

However, you can try Firefox, Camino, or Opera. Whatever, it's all the same.

Dont get me wrong I love Safari, it is my primary browser but sometimes it just does not work well with some sites. Like for an example vox, when i try to post a new post it wont let me type anything in the box, but when I use firefox it works fine. I was just looking for something a litte more light-weight and capatable. I allready use firefox, it is my back-up browser I only fire it up when something does not work in safari. Is there anything other than mozilla based browsers out there? I dont like the look of camino either. And I really dont like opera, i think it looks terriable, although it is pretty snappy.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macuserseth View Post

Dont get me wrong I love Safari, it is my primary browser but sometimes it just does not work well with some sites. Like for an example vox, when i try to post a new post it wont let me type anything in the box, but when I use firefox it works fine. I was just looking for something a litte more light-weight and capatable. I allready use firefox, it is my back-up browser I only fire it up when something does not work in safari. Is there anything other than mozilla based browsers out there? I dont like the look of camino either. And I really dont like opera, i think it looks terriable, although it is pretty snappy.

The only other one I can think of is Shiira. But like Outsider said, the sites that don't work with Safari are usually the ones that are optimized to work with IE. And anyone who optimizes their website for IE (read: the only browser that doesn't play by the rules) needs to be punched in the face.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I believe Safari is not only the best overall browser, it obeys web standards slightly better than Firefox for instance. The problem is the site creators who aren't considerate enough to use those standards.

I mostly just pass on those sites. I wouldn't take crap first thing after walking into a business, so why would I do that on the Web? Besides, it's much easier to find the next comparable location on the web than it is physically. The more people do this, the faster the site creators shape up.

I keep Firefox around too, mostly for when Safari crashes. It still happens too much. \ I think I have some plugins that aren't being used that I could remove, but if I had to give up Acidsearch to make Safari stable I think I'd rather return to Gecko-based browsers.

When you absolutely have to get that one site to work, then it's a question of whether the browsing engine in your browser can decipher that particular broken site. The major engines are Webkit (Safari/Shiira/...), Gecko (Firefox/Camino/...), Opera's engine and IE's engine. It's no use trying multiple browsers using the same engine.

There is the off chance that a site would work but its scripting specifically checks if you have an "allowed" browser. Usually it then says you don't have a supported one, and blocks you from getting inside the site. In that case you want to have your browser lie and claim to be Internet Explorer. At least Opera can do that by default; Safari can do that if you enable the debug menu, google for this if interested.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

I keep Firefox around too, mostly for when Safari crashes. It still happens too much. \

That's one reason why I'm a camino user. The other is that tabbed browsing is better on camino. But really it comes down to person preference. Safari is good, I just like camino better. I will give version 3 of safari a close look. The tabbed browsing in version 3 looks very attractive.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macuserseth View Post

Look at camino.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    teedoff087teedoff087 Posts: 348member
    If you don't like the "look" of Camino, there's a program that allows you to use toolbar themes. It's called CaminIcon. You should try it out. My only caveat with Camino is its poor Flash handling (which is covered by FlashBlock) and the Flip4Mac plugin doesn't display correctly. These two issues haven't stopped it from becoming my favorite browser though.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Firefox. Safari doesn't work well MyYahoo or Yahoo mail. Unfortunately, it is way to much trouble for me to pass on Yahoo.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teedoff087 View Post

If you don't like the "look" of Camino, there's a program that allows you to use toolbar themes. It's called CaminIcon. You should try it out. My only caveat with Camino is its poor Flash handling (which is covered by FlashBlock) and the Flip4Mac plugin doesn't display correctly. These two issues haven't stopped it from becoming my favorite browser though.

I'm a huge Camino user. Love it.

Never could stand Safari, though.