Macbook Pro OS on ibook G4?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I was just wondering if its possible to install the OS software that came with a Macbook Pro on a G4 iBook?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steve666 View Post

I was just wondering if its possible to install the OS software that came with a Macbook Pro on a G4 iBook?

Nope, for two reasons.

1) PowerPC and Intel Macs use a different architecture, so the OS is coded specifically for the architecture it came with. The only discs that can get around this will be the Mac OS X retail discs for Leopard, when it's released. They will be able to install on either CPU type.

2) Ever since the Intel switch, the restore discs have been coded for that specific revision and model. So, for instance, a "MacBook (Late 2006)" install disc will only work on a machine of that revision. So on and so forth with all the other Intel models.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

Nope, for two reasons.

1) PowerPC and Intel Macs use a different architecture, so the OS is coded specifically for the architecture it came with. The only discs that can get around this will be the Mac OS X retail discs for Leopard, when it's released. They will be able to install on either CPU type.

2) Ever since the Intel switch, the restore discs have been coded for that specific revision and model. So, for instance, a "MacBook (Late 2006)" install disc will only work on a machine of that revision. So on and so forth with all the other Intel models.

well that sucks\
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Of course, you can BUY a copy of the latest OSX and install it on your G4 ... the OS will work just fine on that computer.

But then you'd be missing out on all the bad karma you get by stealing stuff.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Of course, you can BUY a copy of the latest OSX and install it on your G4 ... the OS will work just fine on that computer.

But then you'd be missing out on all the bad karma you get by stealing stuff.

If it were more reasonably priced I'd have no problem with it.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Windows Vista Ultimate = $360

Windows XP Pro = $270

OSX 10.4 = $115

You're right... that's darned unreasonable.

Because you KNOW that there was no R&D expense involved in developing the thing...

Sorry... I just felt like yanking your chain
  • Reply 6 of 9
    teedoff087teedoff087 Posts: 348member
    *$69 with a student discount.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I think Apple updates their OS too often and expecting people to cough up over 100 bucks a few times a year isn't cool, but maybe thats just me.

$69 with a student discount isnt too bad, my broinlaw is a teacher perhpas he can get me a copy.

Think I should wait for the next OS update? I'm a little behind Im not sure which cat we're on now, Leopard? Whats the next one, I believe its due out in October?

Oh, actually my broinlaw needs to update his iMac G4, perhaps we can use the same Upgrade? The ibook is actually his, Im just borrowing for a while.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

...expecting people to cough up over 100 bucks a few times a year isn't cool...

?????????

The major updates (the ones you have to pay for) only occur every 2-3 YEARS... (not two or three per year.)

We COULD get into the difficulties in setting aside $129 over a 2 year period... but... not right now

(Again... just busting your chops... having a little fun playing devil's advocate.)
  • Reply 9 of 9
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:

I think Apple updates their OS too often and expecting people to cough up over 100 bucks a few times a year isn't cool, but maybe thats just me.

$69 with a student discount isnt too bad, my broinlaw is a teacher perhpas he can get me a copy.

Think I should wait for the next OS update? I'm a little behind Im not sure which cat we're on now, Leopard? Whats the next one, I believe its due out in October?

Oh, actually my broinlaw needs to update his iMac G4, perhaps we can use the same Upgrade? The ibook is actually his, Im just borrowing for a while.

The current OS is codenamed Tiger, whereas the new one will be Leopard. As for Leopard, don't expect it to run well on any but the fastest iMac G4's, it requires 800MHz and 512MB of RAM as the minimum, and the fastest iMac G4's only got to 1.25 GHz. Same might go for your iBook, depending on the model. I would stick with Tiger, if I were you.

As for the upgrades, consider this. Every version of Mac OS X since 10.2 has retailed for $129 (10.1 was $20). Mac OS X 10.2 was released in August of 2002 for $129. Then 10.3 came along in October of 2003 for another $129. Finally, in April of 2005, 10.4 was released for... $129. Totally, from August of 2002 to, let's assume August of 2007, that's five years, you've spent $387 on your Mac OS. How much does Vista Ultimate retail for again? Oh yeah... $400. And I compare it to Ultimate because we have it BootCamped on one of the iMacs at work, and the "ultimate" features are no different than those in Tiger. Ooh, encryption with BitLocker! I have FileVault, and I never even need to use it. Aero? Waste of resources, but it is pretty. So is OS X, it's still better looking than Vista. Windows Instant Search, meet Spotlight. And Exposé still kicks the hell out of Flip3D, another feature you pay extra for.

My point there, is that while you spent $600 on XP and then Vista Ultimate, I was busy spending $387 for the same features, plus a side order of no viruses. It's more than worth it.

Disclaimer: I use "you" in the generic PC-user context. I'm not implying anyone here necessarily spent all that money on Windows OS's.