New Computer Software Question

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I currently have a mac pro from may, if I buy another one after leopard comes out, will i be able to put the software that comes with the new mac pro with leopard onto my mac pro from may? OR do i have to buy the software in addition to the new mac pro?

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    teedoff087teedoff087 Posts: 348member
    I'm pretty sure you would have to buy another set of install DVDs to upgrade your Mac Pro from May. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the Intel machines are picky about what install discs you use. You have to either use an upgrade DVD or the ones that came with the machine.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teedoff087 View Post

... Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the Intel machines are picky about what install discs you use. ...

It's not about being picky. Each new Mac model ships with a version of MacOS X which is specific to that model. You cannot install the bundled OS from one model Mac on another model Mac. The shrinkwrap version of MacOS X is intended to upgrade a previous version of MacOS X. You can't install the commercial version MacOS X 10.4 on an Intel-based Mac becaude all Intel-based Macs shipped with MacOS X 10.4 preinstalled. It is also on the System Restore disk. Every Intel-based Mac can be updated to the latest version of MacOS X 10.4 via Software Update. When the commercial version of MacOS X 10.5 is released, it will be able to update MacOS X 10.4 on Intel-based Macs.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    thanks all, that sucks, another $120 outta pocket, oh well!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djbmrgrinn View Post

thanks all, that sucks, another $120 outta pocket, oh well!

I think it will be possible. I haven't checked how well the Intel machines cope with discs from other machines but in the PPC models, if you had the same model of machine then the discs worked fine. If you have two Mac Pros, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I guess i'll just try it first and if not, then i'll just go buy it. Thanks all.