TS says the 6G iPod is on the way, non-touch

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Linkie.

Anyone else seriously disappointed by this? Besides expecting that an iPhone-esque model was on the way, I hated the new user interface videos posted a few days ago.

I've been waiting three years to upgrade. Looks like it's going to be four.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    If TS is right, I won't be buying a 6G iPod. I will be curious to see how the Zune 2 compares to the 6G.

Dave
  • Reply 2 of 11
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Same here. I've only got a handful of iTunes tracks. I'd be willing to burn/rip those and transcode my Library if Apple can't produce something more compelling than this.

Microsoft'll have to give me Mac compatibility for the Zune, though.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Bring it on. The iPod's form is so iconic...I doubt that Apple will change it's screen over scroll wheel layout anytime soon. I doubt we'll ever see an iPod that resembled iPhone in form. I welcome the updated OS, and the updated features such an update should include (cross-fading comes to mind).

The only problem with the ThinkSecret article is...well...it's on ThinkSecret. AppleInsider has a better track record.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I don't think the ipod needs a touch screen, even if it was to use the exact iphone interface since it can only play music and video anyways. Look at the iphone demo vids for music and video, aside from pinching to enlarge, what can't be done with a click wheel?

What I hope they're wrong about is it keeping the same screen. If it doesn't at least have a zune sized 3" screen that's pretty fucking sad, and really does it an ipod with video tacked on instead of a video ipod. Unless they rolled out an ipod especially for video. Goddamnit apple I need video on the go on a good sized screen, I'm gonna be taking the GO for roughly 2 hours each day come september.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Sticking with the same sized screen is more disappointing than lack of multi-touch, IMO. I don't quite get why Apple is being so recalcitrant about making an iPod that offers a great video experience. The iPhone has enough going for it for its sales not to be cannibalized just because an iPod has a big screen.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    alas, this could well be true... it's a shame but it seems everything is iphone now surely they must realise that the iphone "experience" is going to be that much harder to control due to the necessity for customers to deal with (bastard) phone networks?

my ipod just died so i will really want to get the next model, but if it's nothing special i may be tempted to get a current generation on discount
  • Reply 7 of 11
    MP4 converter is the worst software I've ever used and I would heartily recommend everyone stay away from it. Try free alternatives instead.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    We'll see. As the iPod has been more-or-less unchanged for almost two years, anything less than a major update is going to cause a stock price fuss. I doubt Apple will release a new flagship iPod that is anything less than impressive.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    from the link on TS

Quote:

sources at that time shared in confidence with Think Secret that Apple's executive team was strongly pushing for a new interface for the 5G iPod, but that the improvements could not be delivered in time for that iPod's roll-out.

I thought when you shared in confidence you did't want what you said plastered all over the internet?

but then maybe my standards are just higher?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I would have thought that the nano could get a 320x240 screen (the same as the one on the full size iPod). It would be then a full width iPod nano (but with a smaller height).

With this screen, the nano could be able to play video and film to increase to number of devices able to play such media. This would increase the number of target for the iTune store (to sell/rent more film and video, and so to provide more of them).

In the WSJ interview, Steve Job said that he doesn't expected such a high usage of video on the full screen iPod. The 5G iPod is out for one year and a half. They could have used this time to adapt themself to the reality of the market and expand video playback to a broader number of devices.

In the same time I would image than the full size iPod would get a full screen (with touch control?) like the iPhone. In the internal iPhone speach he gave to Apple employees, Steve Job talk about the use of OS X on futur iPod. I not sure that he would make such mention if these iPod were far in the futur.

Time will tell. But I still hope for a fullscreen iPod with touch control...

By the way, if there is an event on 08/07, invitation should appear real soon on the web...

FrenchMac
  • Reply 11 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    TS stands for Talk Sh**